Kaanapali Travel Answers

change location

Which condo complex?

by roseeliza Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hi all,
I am happy to find this forum as I've been feeling overwhelmed by all the condo websites. I think, due to a limited budget, I've narrowed our choices but would love info on these places: Eldorado, Kaanapali Beach Club, Lahaina Shores, Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas. The reviews of all of these are really contradictory making it hard to judge. We've got two 15 year old daughters and will be on Maui between Oct. 15-24 of this year. My husband and I would LOVE an ocean front, the girls want some "action", and a great pool... just not too quiet for them. We want them to have freedom but feel that they are safe. Do you know if, as the time gets nearer, the deals get better?

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Which condo complex?

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Waterfront and limited budget don't work well together in Kaanapali. Your complex may be Ocean Front but don't expect the room to be. Of the places you list the KBV and MKV are the better for all. I know you don't want to read this but, check www.VRBO.com for the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas. It should be the very best.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which condo complex?

by roseeliza Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Thanks so much YVRDave! I am more than happy to keep checking VRBO! What do you think about last minute booking? Good idea? Better deals?

Cheers

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Not a great idea. You might get stuck with bad. The only people that would discount would be the front desk and that wold be down to VRBO rates or still higher

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Aloha. If you want ocean front and to be in the Kanapali Resort area with the Black Rock snorkling and the Whalers Village, then the Kaanapali Beach Hotel should be your choice. It is very Hawaiian in decor and many families, local and tourists stay here. I have stayed at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas and it is away from the main Kaanapali Resorts in the Whalers Village area. El Dorado sits closer to the hwy and away from the beach with the Royal Lahaina below to the north and Sheraton Maui to the south. Lahaina Shores is downtown Lahaina is good if you are not looking for that beach relaxed feel. It overlooks the small boat docks and the boat tour locations as well as very close to all the action in Lahaina Town, a few miles from Kaaanapali.

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Larry is correct about the Whaler or Kaanapali Alii but, I hope they could be in your budget

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Aloha nui....

The Whaler at Kaanapali is excellent but a bit expensive, mainly due to the location in the heart of hotel circle. If you don't mind being a bit further up the berach, towards Napili, then The Kahana on Kahana Beach is ideal.

consolidatedresorts.com/prop...

Whenever I go back to my Maui, I stay at the Lahaina Shores, right in Lahaina.

Here are a few things to do on Maui as well as websites to consider. Use what you can and discard the rest......

Here is a lot of stuff on my Maui. Use what you can and discard the rest.

Used to live there, in Lahaina for five years, and have been back fairly regular. Would choose Kaanapali hotel circle over Wailea in Kihei, mainly as Kaanapali is only three miles from Lahaina. However also due to the frequent sugarcane field dust that tends to blow over the Kihei area. Some folks do not notice it but having been there for as long as I have, it is noticable.

There are also many condo properties to consider most on the stretch between Kaanapali and Napili. There is also a nice one right in Lahaina, where I usually stay when I return there. Here is a look:

http://www.lahainashores.com/

Right next door is the 505 Front Street Shops, an outdoor mall area, and walk past that and you are on historic Front Street. Check out the Whaling Museum at the historic Pioneer Inn, down the street as well as the Whaling Ship at the pier.

http://www.bestlahaina.com/history.php

Many activities available ocean related, - or not. A tour/trip to the top of the mighty Haleakala Volcano which rises 10.000 feet from the ocean. May want to consider one of several bike trips from the top. You are driven to the top and then you bike all the way down the mountain. Here are two but there are others as well.

http://www.mauidownhill.com/

http://www.bikemaui.com/

If you are up to it, catching the sunrise from the top of Haleakala is a special experience, but you need to get there before sunrise of course.

A full day trip/tour to Hana is an absolute must. A windy road on the coast most of it high in the cliffs above the ocean and the beach land. Just look at these.....

images.google.com/images?hl=...

Here is Heavenly Hana in all its glory. Make sure to go a little further to the Seven Sacred Pools.

http://www.hanamaui.com/

hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/site...

destination360.com/north-ame...

There are many other things to do on Maui, one would include a tour/trip to the Iao Needle, In Iao Nat'l State Park, where you can see the famous profile of John F Kennedy in the rock.

gohawaii.com/maui/plan/thing...

wurlington-bros.com/Museum/F...

Do you fancy going horseback riding on Maui, - several ranches where you can do that. Hawaii is a rich cattle country, which most people are not aware of. Explore paniolo (cowboy) country on Maui. Here just two of many ranches that can make you a paniolo.

http://www.mendesranch.com/index.htm
    http://www.makenastables.com/

Diving is spectacular on Maui, of which diving around the halfmoon island of Molokini is my favorite. Here is a look:

images.google.com/images?hl=...

Of course the nightlife on Maui is legendary. I could wax poetic on the wonders of my Maui, but once you do some reaserch you will find much more. I will leave you with this look at Maui no ka oi. (Maui is the best)

paradisemaui.com/island_imag...

Aloha nui loa.....d:o)

1 member found this helpful

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Kaanapali Alii is the tops as far as places on Kaanapali beach we have stayed there 6-8 times and is always our first choice. However, it is quickly pricing itself out of our price range.

VRBO is a great source and you can deal directly with the owner and attempt to negotiate a price. Last time we did the Alii we were able to get the unit down100 per night from where it started. Of course they had major construction going on and we could not use the pool or BBQ area, so that helped our stance.

We have used VRBO three times to find locations on Maui and they have always worked out well. You will find lower prices down by Kehi, but I am not a fan of that area so don't stay there can't really comment.

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Well I can tell you about Kihei. The condo properties there have a problem with sugarcane field dust. The Kihei beach area is on the flat ismus area between the two mountain ranges that make up Maui. The flat gap area which is from ocean to ocean is windy, and the entire area is covered with sugarcane fields, half of which are usually in between harvest. The persistant rust colored dust blows over the Kihei area, and it gets in everyehere.

Not to mention, when the sugarcane is harvested, they set the whole field section on fire, frequently blowing the smoke ove the Kihei area. Not everyone has a complaint about this, and often it is not really that detectable, but for someone that has lived on Maui for years (yours truly), it is a persistant irritant.

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I think I am losing it....I did not realize that I said this basically above......d:o/

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Erik, as I said before, Brah, ya is pupule. Suck em up. ;-)

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Heu Brah, hey brah, Howzit? Howzit? Like bia? Like bia? Suck'em up Brah. Suck'em up brah.....d:o)

Ya know we always say tings duce times heh heh....my (paka)lolo kaamaina......d:o)

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Erik, Shaka. No Pilikia. Da kine is dis bud's for ya. Ya must be on ukulele with Jawaiian. Later. ;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines