change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• hike wonderlake

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Hello

I want to go to wonderlake for 3 days and take a hike on the backcountry in the south, some of it has t renseingements on southern wonderlake?

thank you

more
    • Flightseeing over an Alaskan glacier...which one?

Alaska 4 hours ago

I am going on a northbound cruise of Alaska with my wife and in-laws. We are going on the Royal Caribbean 7N Northbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier cruise.
      It will stop at various ports along the way between Vancouver and Seward. We will fly back from Anchorage. There are many flightseeing excursions over Alaskan glaciers at the various ports during the cruise itinerary. They are of course rediculousy expensive and I will restrict/treat myself to ONLY one. I will be doing it alone or with the wife (the in-laws will not be with us for this period!). But which flightseeing excursion?

Photography is my passion...fluidr.com/photos/phil_mario...
      So I would like to be on a flightseeing excursion that is photoworthy and am ensured a window seat to shoot from, so it is best to be in a helicopter or floatplane where the wing attaches to the top of the fuselage as this doesn't obstruct the view as much as a lower placed wing would.

So the ports I can flightsee from are Ketchikan (Misty Fjords ), Icy Strait Point (Glacier Bay National Park), Juneau (helicopter over Juneau Icefield or a 5-Glacier Seaplane trip), Skagway (Chilkat Glacier system) or Anchorage (Denali/Mt. McKinley and Ruth & Kahiltna Glaciers).

I have been to Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina and will soon see various Alaskan glaciers from sea level so with this flightseeing trip I am most interested in aerial shots that best depict the glaciers as rivers of ice. Dramatic mountains are a plus.

Are there any well heeled travellers here that have been on some of these excursions and can recommend one over the others? Or know of other resourses I can use to find out?

Sincerest thanks!

more
    • exit glacir for free

Seward Apr 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Hi, anyone knows if can i hike to te exit glaciar for free , or i must get a guided tour?
      Thanks

more
    • Historic sites in Sitka

Sitka Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Can you hop on and off a bus or other transportation to see the different historic sites?

more
    • seward vs homer may 9-13 2014

Seward 17 hours ago

plannning on kayaking, fishing, cabin camping, and glaciers would be just top it off. which has better weather, seward or homer during early may? both places look beautiful , but which has better scenery? better hikes? scenery is more important to me than wildlife. Any advice appreciated

more
    • Magic Bus - Christopher McCandless

Alaska Mar 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hi,

My name is Gary and I'm currently looking to book an extended trip to travel across America. One of the locations I would like to visit it The 'Magic' Bus just off the Stampede Trail. When would be the safest time of year to hike out to the bus and are there also any tour guides who would accompany heading out there? I just wanted to check as I would rather not go out alone.

I would be grateful for any information you could give me.

Thanks

Gary

more
    • October outdoor activities

by ehpaulo Online Now Oct 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'm visiting Oct 30-Nov 2 and wondering what my options will be for outdoor activities? I'm assuming whales are long gone but what about kayaking, boat tours, and rest of local attractions, etc? Are activities shutting down this time of year or does anyone have specific suggestions? Planning on some hiking and checking out the glacier already. Thank you!

3 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 1:33 AM
    • Drinking on board

by Jeanettepeacock5423 Online Now Aug 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Can you bring any alcohol on board to consume on the ship?

10 Answers Aug 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    • Whale watching in Juneau

by Jeanettepeacock5423 Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Is the whale watching and wildlife quest worth it

5 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Best Highlights of Juneau

by giampiero6 Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hi Folks. I'm headed up to Alaska in a few days. Starting from Juneau, we'll be boating up and down the inner passage. (Father in law has a boat up there)

I've researched a bit about the Juneau area and have the general lay of the land. Any input on the BEST highlight that you would suggest is not to be missed?

Also will be spending some time at Taku Lodge...suggestions for highlights around there would be great!

Thanks,

Giampiero

14 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM
    • Fall Colors- Juneau and Haines AK

by LadyBootsStella Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Hello,
      Does Juneau and Haines AK offer beautiful fall colors?
      If so, is this in September?

Thank you

2 Answers Jul 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    • ferry departure

by caralmar Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Hello,
      I would like to book one night in an hotel in juneau but i need to be close to the Alaskan ferry departure. Could you tell me where is the departure, please?
      Thank you
      Caroline

1 Answer Jun 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    • dundalkspur's Profile Photo

IPAD/WALMART

by dundalkspur Online Now Aug 27, 2012 at 8:07 AM

We are on a cruise and I want to buy an IPAD .Can anyone advise me how to get to a shop like Walmart from the port to buy one .Can you please also tell me the tax .
      Thanks

12 Answers Aug 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    • Miss_Becky's Profile Photo

Gold Creek Salmon Bake

by Miss_Becky Online Now Aug 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I am going to be visiting Juneau in a couple of weeks on a cruise line. I am thinking of attending the salmon bake and was wondering if any locals or tourists have any thoughts or comments about this place. Some say in their reviews that it's bad food and the facilty is not very kept up and others say it's great. For the price of45 I would like to get more info on this. Also would I need rain boots for this adventure? Trying to pack accordingly. Any help is greatly appreciated. I also will be there for about 9 hours so any suggestions on what to do on a budget. Also was thinking of going to the Alaskan beer company facility.

3 Answers Aug 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    • Late afternoon in Juneau

by jayrule Online Now Aug 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Will be in Juneau next Saturday from 14:30 - 20:00 (2:30 - 8:00 PM) What are good sights to see in the short time?

6 Answers Feb 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    • Getting back to cruise ship from Mendenhall Glacier after hours

by catinhat Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

When does the "blue bus" stop running from Mendenhall Glacier to the cruise ships in early June? Later in the evening (~7 or 8pm) are there taxis readily available when leaving the glacier? Or do you have to schedule one hours in advance? Or the city bus, is it available later if we walk the mile and a half to the bus stop?
      Thanks!

3 Answers Sep 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    • Which helicopter service is better

by m1star Online Now Apr 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM

We have booked a flight with Coastal Helicopters that tours either Herbert, Taku, Lemon or Norris Glacier. Since we can cancel 48 hours before the flight, should we consider Temsco that flies to Mendenhall Glacier instead? Which might be better?

2 Answers Apr 26, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    • ziplining in Juneau

by Cricket808285 Online Now Feb 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM

It seems that there are 2 tour companies in Juneau for ziplining - the Rainforest Canopy Zipline and the Alaska Zipline Adventures. Does anyone have any experiences with them and how can I choose which is better?

Thanks!!

• firefly2010's Profile Photo

1 day in Juneau/ August

by firefly2010 Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I will be arriving by cruise ship and been trying to find things to do without excursions. Heard a lot about Captain Larry @ Orca enterprise...is it worth booking. Does anyone know if Holland America books through them. Mendenhall Glacier, I want to see, should I do it by air or on foot. If so who should I use. Do you think I will have enough time to do both and use local transportation? Also I'm interested in doing the Zipline should i do it in Juneau or in Ketchiken? Hope you can help me out, don't know when I'll be back and want to do it right.

8 Answers Dec 7, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    • Questions about May trip

by ujge7639 Online Now Jan 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hi,

I am traveling to Alaska on a cruise ship and have a full day in Juneau. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping some people have feedback on:
      1). I will be in Junaeu on May 6th. I plan on going to Mendenhall Glacier. I noticed they have 3 shorter trails. The question I have is whether these trails (photo point, trail of time, and morraine ecology trail) are gromed (do they remove snow from the trails) or will you need to be prepared to walk on snow? Will it be warm enough to walk around on the trails?
      2). I have read up on Glacier Gardens and seen mixed reactions (tourist trap versus good attraction). Thoughts?
      3). Is Macaulay Salmon Hatchery worth a trip in early May when salmon aren't swimming up ladders?

Thanks

1 Answer Feb 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    • Looking for Blues Music

by risaashment Online Now Aug 18, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Visiting Juneau August 20-24: any Live Blues to recommend?

1 Answer Aug 20, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    • Hiking Groups

by Cassie503 Online Now May 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I will be in Juneau from June 7 through the 11th. Are there any hiking groups in town? I feel a little apprehensive about hiking alone (bears and all).

Thanks,
      Cass

1 Answer May 26, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    • lookingtoshop@vtmail.com

by Lookingtoshop Online Now Nov 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM

HI I want to send flowers or a fruit basket from a Juneau business to a resident in Juneau. I live in California and the fees are a lot to send from here. Any suggestions will be great. Thanks

3 Answers Nov 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM
    • 9tigers's Profile Photo

is fall foliage in season sept 1-6th?

by 9tigers Online Now Aug 21, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I am coming to Alaska first week of sept. I was not able to find any fall foliage report online, so want to know if it will be in season when I am there.
      also 55 high, does it feel pretty cold.?

when is sun rise and sun down?
      is it safe to walk from Hostal to dock?

thanks
      Daisy

5 Answers Sep 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    • A day in Juneau

by Mum_J Online Now Aug 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

We are visiting on a cruise ship for a day. Can anyone suggest what we should do, not miss, etc? I am not too keen on being railroaded onto organised mass excursions unless it's the only way to see an area.

Many thanks for any help.

3 Answers Sep 26, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    • Whale Watching - Roll Call

by chrissy5858 Online Now Aug 10, 2008 at 5:44 AM

My Husband and I want to go on a Deluxe Whale Watching trip with CanCanCase on 21 Sept from Juneau ($150 pp). Need min of 4 people. Will be fun trip for 3 hours from 3.00 PM seeing lots of marine life.
      Is there anyone arriving on ms Veendam or travelling independent interested?
      If so, contact CanCanCase on his website www.Charter-Alaska.com

1 Answer Aug 10, 2008 at 6:23 AM
    • a day with rented car in juneau

by giora111 Online Now Jul 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM

hello
      we are a party of 6 coming on a cruise to juneau on jujy 31. we arrive at 8 am and rented a minivan which we have to return by 6 pm.
      i would appreciate hearing about the posible tours we can do in addition to driving to mandenhal glacier. is there a nice scenic road close by, wild life watching like bears etc?
      thanks for helping
      giora

2 Answers Jul 14, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    • parlorjazzJim's Profile Photo

Juneau - end of August

by parlorjazzJim Online Now Jun 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM

My partner and I'll be arriving in Juneau during the last week in August via Princess cruise ship. We will also be hitting the following destinations: Skagway, Tracy Arm and Ketchikan.

1) What clothing is appropriate to bring/wear for that time of year?
      2) I'd like to take a city bus to the Mendhall glacier. What is the typical cost and where do we catch that bus in Juneau?

Thanks,
      PJJim

5 Answers Aug 3, 2008 at 3:06 PM
    • Weather Question

by tntpv Online Now Jun 29, 2008 at 7:34 AM

We will be traveling to Juneau the first of July. Other than the possibility of rain, what is the normal temperature for this time of year. We will be traveling with an infant and I want to be certain to have the correct clothes for her.

2 Answers Jul 3, 2008 at 1:28 PM
    • Juneau shopping- authentic vs made in China

by jleethomas Online Now May 16, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Am going to visit soon. Is there a way to tell if something is being passed off as authentic or is there a commercial tag stating the item was made in China.
      Oh, to be able to buy only authentic merchandise!!!!
      thanks for your help.
      Looking forward to our visit in August.

2 Answers May 31, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Shrine of St. Therese

by 9tigers Online Now Apr 27, 2008 at 7:53 AM

will there be shuttle near the ferry dock to take me to the chapel then take me to downtown??

Daisy

4 Answers Jun 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM

how to get from airport to hostel

by 9tigers Online Now Apr 27, 2008 at 7:48 AM

I will be arriving Juneau around 1PM sept 1st. I heard u can take the bus from airport to about 2 blocks from hostel. it is located at 6th street and harris street.
      how do I take the bus from airport? I think I may need to transfer somewhere....

the cab ride is like25...

also sept 4th I will be coming back from skagway via ferry, is there shuttle bus outside of the dock to take me to downtown as well? back to hostel..

Daisy

3 Answers Jun 8, 2008 at 3:15 PM
    • lklafleur's Profile Photo

Which Whale Watching Tour?

by lklafleur Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I'm planning on taking the typical 3-hour whale watching trip with my husband, but I'm unsure of which companies are reputable, or even just better than the others.

Do you have opinions or experiences?

I love the idea of seeing other wildlife as well, but that's secondary.

Thanks

7 Answers Jul 2, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    • Short Time in Juneau

by johnfclark Online Now Nov 29, 2007 at 7:22 AM

I am coming to Juneau in September for a 4 Hour stop .I don't want an expensive cruise ship tour, what should I do?
      Also is the Red dog saloon still in business I can't get into the web site.

7 Answers Jun 28, 2008 at 8:10 PM
    • postcards

by kolutek Online Now Nov 24, 2007 at 7:11 PM

hi all!
      I am collecting postcards from around the world and I have nearly 9000 so far...would anyone be so kind to send me one or two juneau clear postcards with stamps? In return I'll send you a "thank you" card and few dollars to cover costs and postage...I appreciate your kindness...my address is Nicholas Peczek 2034 Moonbeam Close V1Z 3X9 Kelowna B.C. Thank you.......

1 Answer Feb 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    • Travelbuds101's Profile Photo

Good Resturant in Juneau, Alaska

by Travelbuds101 Online Now Aug 9, 2007 at 11:00 PM

We have one night and would like to enjoy a nice meal. We are open for any type of food and money is not a concern. Looking for a place to relax and have a nice bottle of wine.

4 Answers Mar 25, 2008 at 1:19 AM