Juneau Travel Answers

change location

Questions about May trip

by ujge7639 Online Now Jan 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hi,

I am traveling to Alaska on a cruise ship and have a full day in Juneau. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping some people have feedback on:
1). I will be in Junaeu on May 6th. I plan on going to Mendenhall Glacier. I noticed they have 3 shorter trails. The question I have is whether these trails (photo point, trail of time, and morraine ecology trail) are gromed (do they remove snow from the trails) or will you need to be prepared to walk on snow? Will it be warm enough to walk around on the trails?
2). I have read up on Glacier Gardens and seen mixed reactions (tourist trap versus good attraction). Thoughts?
3). Is Macaulay Salmon Hatchery worth a trip in early May when salmon aren't swimming up ladders?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Re: Questions about May trip

by mikelisaanna Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

While in Juneau you should also do a whalewatching cruise in addition to visiting Mendenhall Glacier. Juneau is very rainy, so hiking may not be a lot of fun in the rain. However, there is a good visitors' center at Mendenhall, which gives you good information about the glacier and its history.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines