Juneau Travel Answers

change location

What are the best things to do in Juneau in August.

by Reganb1 Online Now Jan 23, 2006 at 11:19 AM

We are visiting Juneau in August and want to be sure that we see and do everything that deals with the outdoors. We plan on camping, but also want to stay in B&B's or hotels to pamper ourselves. Where can we stay? Should we rent a car? We just don't want to miss a thing!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: What are the best things to do in Juneau in August.

by ak4life21 Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 1:22 PM

I am not sure how I came across this forum and I hope you get this before you leave on your trip…My name is Jennifer and I was born and raised in Juneau, Alaska…I currently live in Anchorage, Alaska but I often return to Juneau to indulge my home sickness…here is my take on some of your inquiries…

Where to stay…

As for camping there are some designated camp areas around town. Mostly toward the north end of Juneau “out the road”. For those luxury evenings, there are several places to stay for every budget…and easy to find. Suggestion for B&B…Grandma’s Featherbed.

Rent a car….

I suggest renting a car if you intend to sight see and really get to know Juneau. The city bus system is great as well but is limited as to how close you get to your desired location. The Southeast Alaska Ferry system is PHENOMENAL! Great way to visit places like Haines, Ketchikan, and Skagway….just buy a ticket and walk on the boat…awesome scenic routes.

Don’t want to miss a thing….

Juneau is a really spectacular place to see. My personal favorites are the hiking, Basin Road (walk the flume), Outer Point Boardwalk…

Beach Combing…Be sure to visit all the great beaches along side the road heading out of Northern Juneau (hit Egan head north and keep driving) and North Douglas Island. There are many turnouts alongside each road to stop and look out into the horizon to the water speckled with islands. Best place for a picnic would be Auke Rec where they have plenty of tables and even covered areas with fire pits along the beach.

These are just my suggestions and what I loved to do over and over growing up in Juneau and even when I come back to visit. I wouldn’t want to tell you all the things to do in Juneau as discovery and exploring is probably the greatest part of visiting Juneau.

One last thing…be sure to stop in at Pel’ Meni in the Fisherman’s Wharf downtown…(long blue building built atop pilings along the water) for the best Russian Dumplings and on the planet!

***FOR AUGUST...BRING RAIN GEAR!!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines