Juneau Travel Answers

change location

Tide Pooling and Horseback Riding

by SadieBodean Online Now Feb 11, 2005 at 11:11 AM

We're planning a trip to Juneau this June. Two years ago we went to Homer and my daughter fell in love with tide pooling. Are there any beaches in the Juneau area where you can do that sort of thing? We were also thinking about taking the ferry to somewhere for a day or two--any tide pooling at any of the nearby destinations? Also, are there any stables in the Juneau area that offer horseback riding? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • KodiakKristine's Profile Photo

Re: Tide Pooling and Horseback Riding

by KodiakKristine Online Now Jun 1, 2008 at 2:51 PM

There is fabulous tide pooling accessible from a trail near the end of the North Douglas Highway -- which is more like a road. I've chaperoned many, many elementary school trips to the area. There are stables here in Juneau, but not much of a rental presence. Your best bet for horseback riding would be to take the ferry to Skagway, where there's a big horseback riding concern. Better yet, treat yourself to Haines which is more like the real Alaska, and take the small ferry shuttle back and forth to Skagway. I think it's70 R/T for the ferry to Haines (not including car transport) from Juneau. You can stay inexpensively at the Chilkat Eagle B&B. Ask Dave for his "Make your own damn breakfast" fare. His kitchen is not the best, but the rooms are clean and very centrally located in the old Army Fort. Go to Mountain Market for your breakfast. Great food!!! There are wonderful rafting trips out of Haines. If you were there later in the summer you could watch the bears catching salmon along the river at night. There is a shuttle that runs many many times a day between Haines and Skagway. Can't remember the cost, maybe25-30? Skagway has a lot to see, despite the crazy tourist crowds. The weather is always better in Haines and Skagway than in Juneau. Another possible getaway might be to go to Gustavus. Feel free to email me if you have more questions. otterrun@alaska.com.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines