Judetul Sibiu Travel Answers

change location

Camping base required

by Dida8349 Online Now Jul 9, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Hello!

Please give me some advice:

me and my friend (and possibly a 3rd person) are going to be in Romania between the 2nd and 9th Sept. We were originally thinking of hiking with our bags on our backs and sleeping wherever we happen to arrive, but .. I just weighed the bag, with all the camping stuff in it, and it ain't for me :). Would you know of a CHEAP safe "base" that we could find ANYWHERE in Transylvania? Ideally it'd be a place not too far from Sibiu, from which beautiful hiking trails go in different directions - a place, which allows much nature/walking-worshipping and also easy ways to return back to the camp base. The place itself can be just about anything: a simple mountain hut is fine, as long as we can leave our stuff in it and find it upon return. We will have sleeping bags and mats to sleep on. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

P.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • anudani1's Profile Photo

Re: Camping base required

by anudani1 Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Have You checked out the mountain villages next to Bran, Magura and Pestera? Wonderful nature trails start from there, very many different marked trails. Very nice views and in the villages real Romanian village life. A friend of mine has a small house there, it should not be expensive, but is clean and safe. You can write
    adrian.carmaciu@siemens.com
    There is a place in Brasov, but for You for the mountain hiking it might be too far away. You can check out www.ladespani.ro
    From Brasov you can hike up the Tampa mountain to enjoy the view of the city (but only daytime hiking please, otherwise you might meet a bear on your way), a nice nature trail goes up to Poiana Brasov, the ski centre, or a walk which starts where Brasov ends towards Bucharest, "Seven stairs" it is called, first a walk through the forest with a river runnig next to you, then some climbing up the metal stairs in between narrow rocks with a waterfall falling next to you making the stairs slippery and wetting you as well, the highest stair is 15 meters. And then a marked trail till the top of the mountain 1,5 hour walk.
    Enjoy Romania, it is a lot of fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Judetul Sibiu Travel Answer Locations