Juba Travel Answers

change location

Going to Juba via Entebbe in mid-November

by UNTMarc Online Now Sep 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I'm headed to an academic conference in Juba in mid-November 2011, via Entebbe by air. I'm an American. I need some up-to-date info.

1. Can you get a visa the airport? Guide books have not caught up to independence, and I can't find the info elsewhere, including South Sudan govt. sites.
2. Air Uganda flies this route, but a not-so-convenient schedule for me. I'll take it if that's the best option, but suggestions?
3. The conference is supposed to be at the South Sudan Hotel, for which I can find no reference/website/info whatsoever. Any help? Ideas for accommodation relatively close to it? Anything?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Going to Juba via Entebbe in mid-November

by sphynxxs Online Now Sep 23, 2011 at 3:07 AM

The last I heard you cannot get a visum at the airport - and the whole airport procedure can be a bit chaotic, even on African terms. I know there are not too many diplomatic placements yet, but there should be something in the US, given the big South Sudanese diaspora there. Have you checked whether Fly540 is flying from Entebbe to Juba? Otherwise there are a number of daily connections via Nairobi, but I presume that would mean an even less convenient schedule. As for hotels and travel info, try gurtong.net/Travel/tabid/66/... - it is updated more or less regularly. The problem with hotels in Juba is, many of them just operate by phone and donĀ“t have websites up. Expect a hefty price for very little comfort, mostly in either a container or prefab accomodation. Things will change at some point, but for now this is the way it is. Should be an interesting experience nonetheless

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines