Johor Bahru Travel Answers

change location
merlinda's Profile Photo

Can I bring in a handphone and buy SIM card in JB for Malaysian calls?

by merlinda Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM

Vters
I have an overseas friend from Auckland (Jessie) who said she wanted to bring in her Motorola handphone into JB. SHe asked whether she could buy a SIM card in JB for Malaysian local calls so she could travel around the East Coast (Kelantan and Terengganu). I have never done this - so asking if this possible so Jessie can be contactable in Malaysia. Also does that mean Jessie will have a new Mobile number when she buy and install SIM into her handphone? What denomination are the SIM cards sell at - RM50, RM20??
Thanks a million Vters.
Merlinda

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • airasia's Profile Photo

RE: Can I bring in a handphone and buy SIM card in JB for Malaysian calls?

by airasia Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 10:38 PM

Yes you can. Just make sure the phone has dual band or tri band or GSM equivalent. Most latest phones are equivalent.
    When your friend arrive here, just buy any prepaid starter pack which consist a certain amount of prepaid already. Activation should take a couple of hours.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ngcsc's Profile Photo

by ngcsc Online Now Feb 26, 2005 at 1:47 AM

Hi,

As per what above mentioned, it is ok to bring own mobile.... network wise... it is suggested to use Maxis or Digi... because Celcom is a bit tricky.

The cost start from RM20 for the starter pack and different prices for different network for the reload card....

it is depends on how you use the mobile phone... if you just need it to receive calls from home.. it is more than enough to have only the starter pack.. but before you purchase, ask the vendor about the expire date... normally you need to reload more money after the expire date even you still has balance, however, the expire date then can extend another one or two months depends on the value you reload.

cheers.... hope you understand, it is kind of complicated system sometimes even Malaysian don't understand.

• merlinda's Profile Photo

by merlinda Online Now Feb 27, 2005 at 4:45 PM

Sha_stallion, AirAsia,ngcsc,
    Thanks a million for your replies and assistance. Keep up with all your good work!!
    Cheers
    Merlinda

• UBIFoner's Profile Photo

by UBIFoner Online Now Jun 1, 2005 at 1:08 AM

Yes, your friends can and should purchase a local SIM card whenever posiible to save costs.
    I got my DiGi Pre-paid SIM card for only M$18. Since then, I had used it to make and receive several international and local calls - all without paying for roaming and IDD charges.
    For more info on how I avoided paying for roaming and IDD charges, please visit agape.com/ubifone/talklonger... .

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines