Johns Folly Travel Answers

change location

Bicycling / camping on St Johns

by CaitlinK Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I am planning a trip in November to St Johns. Over the course of possibly two-three days I would like to go on a biking expedition/camping trip. Does anyone have any recommendations as to any trails, ruins, scenic camping locations?

Also, can you rent a bike on the island for a reasonable price?

Normally I just look on google maps, find the largest green area, and just see where that gets me. But, seeing as this may be the only time I get to travel to this location... I want to make the most out of my time there.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • twilightmuse's Profile Photo

Re: Bicycling / camping on St Johns

by twilightmuse Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM

You should try going onto the St Johns tourism web site. They will probably have lots of brochures they will send out with that information on it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vanderlust's Profile Photo

Re: Bicycling / camping on St Johns

by vanderlust Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Good choice! St John (no 's' as St Johns is a town on Antigua)There is so much to do on St John. Hiking, swimming and snorkeling from world class beaches, camping at three (soon to be only two) large campgrounds, kayaking, fishing, scuba and my favorite activity on StJ, relaxing.

Cycling - St John is a mountainous island. The terrain is steep, the roads are narrow and switchbacks are common although the max speed limit is 25mph. There are no bicycles for rent. I believe that there are expedition companies that organize bicycle trips. There are few places where the terrain and roads would allow for safe cycling. Trails are for hiking only and no bikes allowed
    Camping - Maho eco-tents, maho's lease is expiring and currently it appears that there will not be a significant extension to the lease. The same folks operate an eco-tent campsite across the island called Concordia (see below)
    Concordia - Permanant tents set on wooden bases with amenities that you wouldn't normally see at a simple campsite.
    Cinnamon Bay campsite - operated by the National Park Service. Tents or a bare campsite can be can be rented.
    There are at least two other very small campsites on the island. One is Botanical Gardens. I have not visited either of these locations but I have read mixed reviews for each.

There are many hiking trails, ruins and scenic sites. St John has been inhabited a few different tribes of South American indigenous tribes. It was established as a Danish territory in the early 1700's and plantations were used for the purpose of growing sugar and producing rum. Sold to the USA in 1917 after WWI and helped to secure the east coast of the US. Two thirds of the small island is US national park thanks in part to the Rockefeller family. Ruins of the planation era are found scattered around the island and are preserved within the National Park. There are a few sites where petroglyphs can be found.

For more information about St John visit this website.
    www.seestjohn.com
    It gives an enormous amount of information on the history of StJ along with pictures, locations, descriptions and directions to beaches and other sites.
    I also have information on my VT pages here.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines