Johannesburg Travel Answers

change location
hafeezrm's Profile Photo

Safety

by hafeezrm Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

What is the law and order position in South Africa in general and Johannesburg in particular in areas like Hillborw.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Safety

by davidjo Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM

aljazeera.com/programmes/wit...

Never been there but seems to be one of the most, if not the most dangerous areas in S Africa

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hafeezrm's Profile Photo

by hafeezrm Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I went there in 1999 as a tourist. Overall, South Africa is a lovely place. I plan to go there again and would certainly visit Johannesburg since it is a sizzling city.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:47 AM

davidjo wrote:
    aljazeera.com/programmes/wit...

Never been there but seems to be one of the most, if not the most dangerous areas in S Africa

David

Yes, parts of Johannesburg are scary, but I have family living ther- and they avoid the 'dangerous' areas of the city. Suburbs on the outer edges like Sandton are very attractive, have plenty of nightlife and are safe.

1 member found this helpful

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:48 AM

hafeezrm wrote:
    I went there in 1999 as a tourist. Overall, South Africa is a lovely place. I plan to go there again and would certainly visit Johannesburg since it is a sizzling city.

I do hope that you will also visit Cape Town (my home town) which also is a sizzler- and then some!

• cleocat's Profile Photo

by cleocat Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:52 AM

I wouldn't go unless I have to. Hillbrow has lost its charm. It has always been a bit dangerous, even during its heydays in the 70s and 80s.

• Re: Safety

by KatHow Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Joburg is a fabulous, buzzing happening city. There are certain areas I'd suggest a tourist avoid - hillbrow is one of them. There are other areas like Melville and Parkhurst and Greenside etc with a great village atmosphere and then big glitzy glam places like Sandton. Dont miss Joburg on your visit but no need to spend too much time here. Land here, spend 2 or 3 days then off you go! Go on safari to Kruger Park and go drink in the natural beauty and fine wines of the Cape.

• bongski's Profile Photo

by bongski Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM

there have been actions taken by the council to make the old jhb cbd area a safer place. manned surveillance cameras with a faster patrol response time, foot patrols and official parking wardens are some of the steps introduced in the past years. It still is chaotic but some street vendors interviewed in news articles have noted an increasing sense of security brought about by these actions. Hopefully it continues.

bong

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Johannesburg