Johannesburg Travel Answers

change location

Johannesburg airport safety

by marie1428 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Hello. I am planning on visiting South Africa in 2 months. I will be volunteering at a wildlife rescue. I will be arriving at Johannesburg airport and then taking another flight to Pharlowaba airport. I am a female and will be traveling alone. Just wanted to hear opinions on the safety at Johannesburg airport. I have read about tourists being robbed. I would appreciate an feedback and tips. Thanks!!!

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Paulm1987's Profile Photo

Re: Johannesburg airport safety

by Paulm1987 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

pharlowaba airport, do you mean "Phalaborwa"?

by the way i've never experienced anything like that at Johannesburg Intl.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Paulm1987's Profile Photo

by Paulm1987 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

pharlowaba airport, do you mean "Phalaborwa"?

by the way i've never experienced anything like that at Johannesburg Intl.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Johannesburg Airport is as safe as any in the world. It has all the security necessary. No one is going to rob you at the airport. Just use all normal precautions that you would use everywhere else.

2 members found this helpful

• Myndo's Profile Photo

by Myndo Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

The AirPort is huge, but except from getting lost searching your Terminal, I wouldn't expect worse things. I have been through there and using it as a start/end Point several times. They have Lots of Security, it is clean and big. No Need to worry at all. Not at the AirPort at least. Just be very careful outside.

1 member found this helpful

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM

We spent a total of around 7 hours at the airport about a year ago, waiting for connecting flights. We were only in the areas inside of security and found it to be a world class airport with all the ammenities. We had no security concerns at all (we were carrying a LOT of pro camera and video gear with us).

• Ina08's Profile Photo

by Ina08 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Joburg airport is very safe and unless you venture outside where the taxi drivers are trying to get your attention the airport is like any international airport: big, lots of shops, coffee places and tons of security. So nothing to worry about.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

by GracesTrips Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

We were there just this last October. I thought it was quite safe and clean. My biggest concern was going through customs. I have heard from another VTer that they scrutinize your passport and if you don't have enough empty pages in it or it will be expiring soon. Be prepared to hand over some cash and you can negotiate the amount. It did not happen to us because our passports were fine.

• canuck68's Profile Photo

by canuck68 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I have been in the Joburg airport many times and always alone after my friends leave me. I was never nervous and the only thing I lost was a jacket because I carelessly left it hanging on the back of a chair and walked away from it. It was a cold trip to Heathrow! It is as safe as any other airport. Just be careful with your belongings. Diane

• tumbytraveller's Profile Photo

by tumbytraveller Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Sadly my credit card was scamed at Johannesburg airport. I thought I was being carefull, selected an ATM adjacent to a bank in a well lighted area, covered the pin number as I entered my number but it was comprimised. This was the only time the card was used and my bank cancelled it once it had suspiciuos activity.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM

tumbytraveller wrote:
    Sadly my credit card was scamed at Johannesburg airport. I thought I was being carefull, selected an ATM adjacent to a bank in a well lighted area, covered the pin number as I entered my number but it was comprimised. This was the only time the card was used and my bank cancelled it once it had suspiciuos activity.

So sorry about the credit card scam. This is unfortnately a worlwide problem, and has happened right here in Sydney to my husband and myself. I guess the technology is getting beyond smart now. Fortunately the Banks are very good at noticing suspicious movement on the cards.

• hafeezrm's Profile Photo

by hafeezrm Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM

I have been to Johannesburg Airport a number of times. I always felt secure. There is van or bus which starts from the airport terminal for Pretoria and drops the passengers right inside their hotels or hostels. Once there, one can contact Bazbus for touring the whole of South Africa on hop-on, hop-off basis.

There are certain areas infamous for trouble. Even these can be visited through conducted tours. However, one feels scared when one is dropped inside a shop and asked not to leave it as there is no guarantee beyond its door. Also one feels sorry for the closed malls, hotels and guesthouses.

• canuck68's Profile Photo

by canuck68 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I didn't come across closed malls, or hotels. As Gerald says I would be suspicious if asked to stay within the confines of a a certain store. I walked freely in these places..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Johannesburg