Jönköping Travel Answers

change location
Turska's Profile Photo

Not so many tips about Jönköping?

by Turska Online Now Mar 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Hejsan!We were planning to book a hotel from Gränna,but seems like they are all very expensive.I noticed Jönköping having much more hotels.
We would be arriving very late (around 21 earliest),and would like to have something to eat,and if weather is nice,then sit out at terrace for a beer or two.Is this a lively place?Or maybe Linköping or Norrköping might have hotels too?They would be maybe even better location,so we wouldn´t need drive back to Gränna,it would be after.(We are driving to Köpenhagen next day anyway).
Oh,and it would be at 5th of June,so I don´t need tarraces at winter ;)

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Manara's Profile Photo

Re: Not so many tips about Jönköping?

by Manara Online Now Mar 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I paid only a one-day visit to Jönköping during a holiday in Sweden, so I cannot recommend any hotel, but I can say it is a lovely and lively town, where it is nice to stroll and to eat outdoors.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Turska's Profile Photo

by Turska Online Now Mar 26, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Thanks,that´s enough.Hotels have different prices different times,so it´s not so important to have suggestions.In our car-trips we allways choose cheapest hotel with car-park,and walking-distance to the centre.
    Byt the way,is 100 kronor still about 10e?Many hotels had put price to parking,and those weren´t at euros.40-95 kronor per night.

If someone has something to say about Norrköping,that would be maybe another opinion-they had lots of hotels too.
    I haven´t been in Sweden outside Stockholm for 18 years!!!Let´s see if I try to speak some swedish after so many years.My husband speak much better than me,because he has lived in bilingual town as a child,and had swedish-speaking friends.

• Cogee's Profile Photo

by Cogee Online Now Mar 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Hi Turska, I'm not an expert on the area but I'll try to help you out. Gränna is a really small town. For me it's equal to three things 1. A place you pass when driving 2. Polkagrisar (the special candy that is made there) 3. The ferry to Visingsö. Visingsö is an island located in the late Vättern. Worth a day visit if you have time. Other that this I don't know what there is to do here.

I was staying at Hotel Savoy in Jönköping about two years ago. Staff was nice, room clean and if I remember correctly parking was free on the small streets around the hotel..that might have changed though! Hotelprices are very flexible. They can vary from day to day due to demand. Have a look at sites like Expedia, booking.com, lastminute. It's also worth having a look at the hotels own sites as well to see if they have any special offers. Usually it requires prepayment or staying more than one night.
    Yes SEK 100 is approx. 9-10 euro.

Can't help you with Norrköping. They have a big and nice zoo.

Hope this helps a little with deciding where to go.

• Turska's Profile Photo

by Turska Online Now Mar 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I have been to Gränna as a child,and I remember it quite well.My hsband has only been in Stockholm in Sweden.
    I have also been in Kolmården zoo.But we didn´t visit the town that time.
    Finding cheap hotels is kind of my hobby :D I do it to my friends also.
    I´m starting to think,we should book a hotel in Norrköping.It will be quite late when we arrive (the boat(Silja) is at Stockholm 18.30) and if we take a hotel before Gränna,we can drive there first thung in the morning,and then go on.
    We are actually going for a three weeks trip around western Europe,so I have to book lots of hotels.Last time we didn´t book ahead,beacuse everyone said we shouldn´t.But we hated it!It´s much nicer to have a hotel ready,than waste your time finding one!At Krakow it took us 5 hours!

• Cogee's Profile Photo

by Cogee Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 3:18 AM

It can be wise to book ahead when travelling in high season. Don't know if you are familiar with the network 'Couchsurfing' or 'Hospitality Club'. Being a member of the network gives you the opportunity to stay with people and/or have the chance to a local guide. You can save some money this way but most of all I believe you get much more out of your vacation meeting the locals :)

Have a great trip

• Turska's Profile Photo

by Turska Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 3:54 AM

We are both service workers,so we enjoy being just the two of us,and no need to "please" anyone else.We are also enjoying so much each others company alone,that it is one of the highlights of our trips ;)That´s why we rather stay at hotels.Allthough I have been considering togo to VT meet some day,if some bigger one happens to be on our route.
    We are not ex-tempore-people at.We allmost know by now our route,and where we stay in each night.So you´re right-it is wise to book hotel ahead.And just in case,that something happens on the way,I choose hotels,witch can be canselled at the same day without extra-cost.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines