Jodhpur Travel Answers

change location
kevinborg's Profile Photo

Holi Festival 2013 in Jodhpur

by kevinborg Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Hey guys,

I will be in India next week and I plan to be in Jodhpur to spend the Holi Festival there. Someone told me that Jodhpur's Holi Festival celebrations are really great and authentic! But I'd like to hear some recommendations from locals and also travellers who had the opportunity to spend the Holi Festival in Jodhpur in the past.

So, can someone please tell me where is the best place to go to in Jodhpur on the day of the Holi? Are there any organised events on the day? And considering we are non-Indians do you think safety is an issue? Finally, is Holi in Jodhpur celebrated only on the 27th March? or else there'll be celebrations also on the 26thMarch and maybe the day after, like it's done in Jaipur?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Kev
Malta
Europe

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Holi Festival 2013 in Jodhpur

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Hi - I've only spent my Holi(s) in Mumbai so can't address the specifics about Jodhpur. As to safety, Holi is a different kind of rowdy than other Indian holidays/festivals. Indians love to color foreigners so join in and have some fun. A couple of precautions - watch your eyes, keep your camera covered, and wear some clothing you won't mind discarding if the color doesn't come out! Enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM

1. Holi will be celebrated throughout India on the 27th. of March, 2013. A few days prior to that, naughty children fill small balloons with water, sometimes coloured, and throw them at unsuspecting passerbys from rooftops. The love to target the fair sex.

2. On the day of Holi, people use colours (natural dyes) to smear family members, relatives, friends and sometimes total strangers also. Sweets are exhanged and consumed and 'bhang' (juice of poppy seeds) is imbibed freely for that intoxicating effect.

3. Events *may* be organised in Jodhpur to celebrate this festival. Your hotel management may be able to help you out on this one.

4. Almost everyone joins in the revelry so no problems if you are from Malta. Like mentioned above by Donna, take necessary precautions.

5. Holi symbolises the victory of good over evil. The fire consumed Holika (Evil) but spared Pralaad (Good).

6. Don't miss out the bonfire on the eve of Holi. That will be on 26th. March evening. People will gather at crossroads and make a bonfire. Sweets are distributed and general revelry prevails.

• jptt's Profile Photo

by jptt Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hey Kev

Holi is celebrated all over the city, The best place to go is in the old blue city area where all the locals get together and celebrate holi. You will also find many other tourists there, as its the most popular place. The only thing you should be concerned about safety are the colors. Many of them are made from harmful chemicals so they can give you allergies. To prevent that apply generous layers of oil over your body. This is the best way to stay away from any allergies and it will be very easy to wash off the color after you are done playing holi.
    I live in Jodhpur, if you are around and need any help let me know.

Have a Safe and Fun Holi !!
    Take Care

• udaipurmagic's Profile Photo

by udaipurmagic Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Holi is in city limited with two days . 26 th mar evening for bonfire and 27 th morning for colours. The celebration is almost everywhere in city . But old city is best. Stay close to your Hotrl and goes in a group of three four people to mingle with locals. This is only advice from mmy side rest has been given by others

Wish you Happy Holi
    Udaipur magic

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines