Jodhpur Travel Answers

change location
kevinborg's Profile Photo

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer - An Alternative to Train Transport

by kevinborg Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Hi all !

I need to travel between Jodhpur to Jaisalmer next month (on a Friday) but I want an alternative means of transport to trains. The reason being, basically, that we will arrive in Jodhpur Airport at 2 pm in the afternoon and the next available train from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer is only at 11.45pm, which is almost 10 hours later!!! And thus, it means that with train transport we only arrive in Jaisalmer the following day at around 6am!! So we would like to know of an alternative means of transport so that we travel to and actually arrive in Jaisalmer much earlier than the train option.

So can somebody please tell me, what are the best options that I have? Are there any good bus/coach or taxi services which frequently travel from Jodhpur to Jaiselmar? If yes I appreciate, if you can indicate the travel times (maybe you can provide a link) the duration of travel needed between these two cities, the price for this trip and from which area in Jodhpur we must go to, to take this means of transport? And finally, is there a possibility to take any of these services, from Jodhpur airport straight to Jaiselmar City?

Thanks a lot and I look forward for your replies, and looking also forward for my first time experience to visit incredible India!

Regards, Kevin Malta, Europe

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer - An Alternative to Train Transport

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The alternative is a bus or a taxi. I don't think that there is ant direct transport from the airport except by taxi. I Jodhpur city there are many travel agencies with bus option. I suggest that you visit at a few for comparison. Fortunately is's not a very long distance. You might even consider a taxi, but again- get a few quotes first

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Saumz's Profile Photo

by Saumz Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM

. Jodhpur to Jaisalmer is almost 272 km. Well you can take a cab which will take almost 5 hours and 25 minutes to cover this distance. In buses you do have buses which will take a little more time then the cab. They take you from Jodhpur to Ahmedabad then Jaisalmer. Some go via Jaipur , via ajmer, via jaisalmer. Depending upon the time you have you can pick any. Bus will cost you anywhere between 550-800 INR per person. Taxi can charge you between 3000-4000. You will be able to find some travel agents and booking counters near the airport only.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

This poster wants to go between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. Why would they want to go via Ahmadabad ? Thats a LONG way away, and would mean back-tracking!

• Saumz's Profile Photo

by Saumz Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Yes but as I mentioned earlier that's the route some of the buses take. So its upto the traveller to figure out which one to pick. Jodhpur-Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer is definitely a very long route but it is one of the options the traveller might get while looking for a bus. Will also take almost 18-20 hours to cover this distance.

• kevinborg's Profile Photo

by kevinborg Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Thanks a lot for your replies ynnehamman & Saumz ! I really appreciate your very helpful information. Most probably I'll try to hire a car as you suggested. Not sure however whether it is normal to hire a car + driver...do you know?
    The bus option is also very good option to consider especially if the taxis/car hire prices are very expensive. Can you pls tell me where in Jodhpur I have to go to get these private/deluxes buses? Considering the time of the year, and the zone of the country, I definitely need to be on an A/C bus.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

• SubrahmanyamK's Profile Photo

by SubrahmanyamK Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Since you are a foreigner, you can spend some time Jodhpur (which is a beautiful place) engaging a taxi (there could be organized tours too in the day--u can check on website --Rajasthan State Tourism Dept.), and catch the train in the night --which is safe and convenient.

Better visit these places before end of March, 2013, otherwise the weather will be hot. Best times mid-Nov to Feb.

• kevinborg's Profile Photo

by kevinborg Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply SubrahmanyamK. Appreciated also your input. Actually we will spend 3 nights in Jodhpur when coming back from Jaisalmer as we are really keen to spend the Holi Festival in Jodhpur. So we'll have enough time to visit the city but after we visit Jaisalmer. So that's the reason we need to go straight to Jaisalmer on our arrival in Jodhpur.

Thanks and regards,

Kevin

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines