João Pessoa Travel Answers

change location

moving to joao pessoa

by digitalninja Online Now May 31, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I am looking to possibly move to Joao Pessoa for 6-12 months. I would be interested in renting a 1bdr apartment in a safe area. I want a place that is within a few miles from the beach (biking distance).
As I work online, high speed internet is a necessity (cable/dsl). I will repeat that as to stress the importance of it, as I work online, high speed internet is a necessity (cable/dsl).

1. How much would I expect to pay monthly for a place like this? (Ideally I would only like to spend200-$300 USD monthly) Are there places available that suite my needs? If so, where can I find them at or who can I call?

2. I dont plan on owning a vehicle of any sort, just a bicycle. Are taxi's inexpensive?

3. Living in Joao Pessoa, what would I expect to pay per month for each the following:
Rent -
Electricity -
Internet -
Cell Phone -
Food -
Gym Membership -

I appreciate any feedback you can provide me with.
Thanks,
-Gabe

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: moving to joao pessoa

by cassiovieggore Online Now May 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Yor demand is not so easy to fulfil. I believe you will not get such apartment by this cheap price. I am not from Paraiba. Thence I don't live there I decided to send you some links concerned in renting apartments in João Pessoa:

redeparede.com.br/joao-pesso...

pb.quebarato.com.br/imoveis-...

classificados-brasil.com/anu...

You soon will know how much you will pay for renting. Food here (I mean in Brazil) is cheap. Electricity I pay around R$150,00/month. Speed Internet bill
    charges around R$300,00/month. If you talk too long by cell phone you will pay
    around R$300,00. You will pay Water service as well (+ R$150,00). And, as one
    person who is living in a building we may recognize you will pay a tax for public costs (Lights of passages, electricity for lift motor, electricity for swimming pool pumps, dishwasher server wages ...). Here in Brazil we call that tax as "Ownership tax" (Conta de condominio). Generally when there are at least 2 apartments in the building the electricity and water bill are inserted in this mentioned "Ownership tax".
    Cassiovieggore

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: moving to joao pessoa

by bahiana77 Online Now May 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Boy are you in luck! The expats from the www.gringoes.com site who live in Joao Pessoa are promoting life there to such an extent that they have started their own website. These folks are SOOOOOO enthusiastic about JP that they will go way out of their way to help you.

This thread about JP is one of the longest on the Gringoes forum:
    gringoes.com/forum/forum_pos...

And here is their announcement of the new site devoted to JP:
    gringoes.com/forum/forum_pos...

The new site devoted to JP is:
    www.paraibaparadise.com

Get in contact with Tamashin or LondonLad and I'm sure they will hook you up with all the info you need.

• Tamashin's Profile Photo

by Tamashin Online Now Jun 7, 2008 at 7:17 AM

I think your questions are very reasonable. It depends on where you would like to live. If you were to consult the "neighbourhoods" section of the
    www.paraibaparadise.com website then we would have a better idea of what you could get for you money. However, US$300 is aiming for the top end of the market.
    There are all sorts of packages with OI which will more than cater for your phone/mobile/internet needs. I allow R$10 for every taxi journey within the city bounds and R$20 to the outer bairros.
    However, if you log on the above site and post on the forum, I will send you A "no holds barred" message with all the information in detail. More than you could ever use. We want you to get the best out of this wonderful city which is why the "whats on" guide is second to non in Brasil. We even know where the bike shops and clubs are :)
    Tamashin

• battibrasil's Profile Photo

by battibrasil Online Now Dec 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Hi I know your posting is over 2 years old but I am visitng JP in january and actually looking for eventual rsidence there.
    Apprecaite any inof you can send.

Many thanks, john

las vegas, nevada

• bahiana77's Profile Photo

by bahiana77 Online Now Dec 11, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Between the folks on the site mentioned above and the Gringoes site, you ought to be able to get all the info you need on moving to Brazil and specifically JP.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near João Pessoa