João Pessoa Travel Answers

change location

travelling in June

by verrowe Online Now Apr 14, 2006 at 8:22 AM

My husband and I are travelling to Recife on 1st June. We intend to spend about a week in recife before moving on to Joao Pessoa for a few days and then Natal for a few more days before returning to Recife on the 20th to fly home. We are considering buying a property in one of these areas or possibly in a village or town nearby. We would like to know which areas to avoid, which are good areas and can anyone recommend a good agent.
We hope to hire a car. we are English but have lived in Spain for three years where the standard of driving is attrocious so are used to unpredictable driving. Is Brazilian driving worse? Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel in any of these towns or areas. Also some advice on what to do in these areas while we are there would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • robbailey's Profile Photo

RE: travelling in June

by robbailey Online Now Apr 21, 2006 at 12:16 PM

Hello from Joao Pessoa. My name is Robin Bailey, age 53 and recently retired to Brazil.I bought an apartment by the beach, also a granja (small plantation)about 22 kms from the sea.Previously I lived in Cyprus, but had enough of the ignorant locals and the increased cost of living, so looked for somewhere cheap, warm, and friendly - Joao Pessoa is all of these!
    I arrived here just before Xmas with the intention of viewing various areas in the Northeast, but took an instant like to Joao Pessoa, so decided to settle here, and so far I have no regrets whatsoever.I also liked the idea of Recife, but having talked to many people (ex-pats and locals),found out it is quite a violent city, so crossed that one off my list. Joao Pessoa is believed to be the safest city in Brazil, as well as the greenest, and in my limited experience, I think it is true. I can walk around, day or night, and don't feel threatened at all, something I cannot say about most places in the UK nowadays.
    Well, the driving here leaves a lot to be desired, but probably no worse than Spain or Cyprus, you just have to treat everyone else on the road as a complete idiot.
    I can certainly find a cheapish hotel for you, or my friend has an apartment in the same building as mine for rent on a short term basis.If you let me know dates, I can come up with some prices. I can also arrange some property viewings if you give me an idea of what you are looking for and your budget. If you would like to see some of the local area when you are here, I will gladly show you around, and give you the benefit of my own experiences here.
    My email address is: robbailey66@hotmail.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near João Pessoa