Jeju-do Travel Answers

change location

Busan to Jejudo - Overnight Ferry?

by josett2006 Online Now Jul 21, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Hi! My friend and I are looking to travel from Seoul (4 days), to Gyeongju (1 day), to Busan (1 day), to Jejudo (2 days), to Mokpo (2 days) and then back to Seoul for a night. I was wondering what would be the BEST way to travel from place to place.

So far, I think:

(1) From Seoul to Gyeongju, we would take the KTX from Seoul to Singyeongju and take a 15 minutes bus ride into the center of Gyeuongju.

(2) From Gyeongju to Busan, I know there are buses that only take about 2 or 3 hours travel.

(3) From Busan to Jejudo is where I need help. I know there's an overnight ferry from Busan to Jejudo that takes 11 hours and it's about40 -160 depending on what type of ticket you get.40 is probably for sleeping on the floor and I'm not sure my friend and I would be very comfortable. Anyone ever done it before? Other than the overnight ferry, would a plane ticket be more feasible?

(4) From Jejudo to Mokpo, there's a 5.5 ferry that I think would be the best way to travel.

(5) From Mokpo back to Seoul, is there another KTX train? I couldn't find the line on the internet, not sure why, because I'm pretty sure there is.

So how does the above travel plans sound? Thanks for everyone's input and help!! It is much appreciated. :)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Busan to Jejudo - Overnight Ferry?

by DSwede Online Now Jul 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM

The ferry from Mokpo to Jeju may be faster than the ferry from Busan, but what you are not accounting for is the transfer time from Gyeongju/Busan to Mokpo. That is a ~5hr ride, so now your travel time is possibly even longer once you consider transfers and stops.

There are a few flights from Jeju air and Busan Air that go to Jeju. As a starting point of Gyeongju, I'd look for availability from Ulsan (30 minutes south of Gyeongju), Gimhae (Busan's airport about 2.5 hours south of Gyeongju) or Daegu (about 45 minutes north of Gyeongju). The flights to Jeju would only be ~40 minutes. Prices would normally be cheaper than the ferry too, but please note that holiday season in Korea is extremely short and expensive since "everyone" take vacation on the same days. Best if you can to travel on the weekdays.

There is no KTX from Mokpo to Seoul. Fastest route would be to fly from Jeju back to Seoul directly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Jeju-do Travel Answer Locations