Travel Answers
Jasper National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• A short trip to Vancouver/Banff/Jasper. Suggestions ???

by abhisheks77 Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Hi.....

I will be flying in Vancouver in July end and want to visit Banff and Jasper too. I am trying to figure out best possible use of my short time. Please check, if this looks ok.

Wednesday - Reaching Vancouver in evening and overnight stay.
      Thursday - Pick rental car. Full day at Vancouver. Overnight stay. (Still needs to check places to see)
      Friday - Leave Vancouver in morning towards Jasper. Overnigh stay at Jasper. (Which route should I take ? Toll road should save some time ? Or I should go via Revelstoke, Golden, Lake Louise ? This will give me some backtrack to and from Jasper) (OR, if it way long distance, where should I break my this long day ?)
      Satuday - Full day at Jasper NP, Icefield parkway. Overnight stay at Jasper.
      Sunday - Jasper to Banff NP. Around area and overnight at Banff NP.
      Monday - Half day at Banff and leave for 8 PM flight from Calgary.
      Really need help to make my itenerary

more
    • A short trip to Vancouver/Banff/Jasper. Suggestions ???

by abhisheks77 Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Hi.....

I will be flying in Vancouver in July end and want to visit Banff and Jasper too. I am trying to figure out best possible use of my short time. Please check, if this looks ok.

Wednesday - Reaching Vancouver in evening and overnight stay.
      Thursday - Pick rental car. Full day at Vancouver. Overnight stay. (Still needs to check places to see)
      Friday - Leave Vancouver in morning towards Jasper. Overnigh stay at Jasper. (Which route should I take ? Toll road should save some time ? Or I should go via Revelstoke, Golden, Lake Louise ? This will give me some backtrack to and from Jasper) (OR, if it way long distance, where should I break my this long day ?)
      Satuday - Full day at Jasper NP, Icefield parkway. Overnight stay at Jasper.
      Sunday - Jasper to Banff NP. Around area and overnight at Banff NP.
      Monday - Half day at Banff and leave for 8 PM flight from Calgary.
      Really need help to make my itenerary

3 Answers Jun 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    • Jasper National Park

by crazymum Online Now May 28, 2014 at 5:35 AM

We are spending 6 days in Jasper National Park - is there a weekly pass that we can purchase - how do we obtain it and costing. Website says that it is possible to purchase this but reverts back to daily rate when you go on to passes

Many thanks

2 Answers May 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    • Fuel stops/Rest Stations

by crazymum Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM

We are driving the Trans Canadian Highway from Canmore to Jasper in the middle of June. I have been trying to find out rest stations/fuel stations enroute. The only ones I can see are: Hardisty & Deadmans Flat. Someone has mentioned that there is one at Skatchewan Crossing and that it is expensive. Whilst we will start with a full tank of fuel it would be nice to know in advance where the next fuel station is in case we hit traffic. We intend taking a picnic with us but need comfort stops - which are the best stations and the ones to avoid

Many thanks

9 Answers Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    • Hot Springs

by crazymum Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Given that there are 3 hot springs within the par - Banff Hot springs, Radium & Miette which is the best - we could do either of them - more interested in the scenic views. We will be there 22 June until 1st July - will it be warm enough outside in a swimsuit?

Any other addition advice for a newbie visiting Canada for the first time much appreciated. Driving from Canmore through to Jasper on the Canadian Trans high way and looking forward to it. Trying to sort out fuel stations en route - any recommendations please?

Many thanks

4 Answers Apr 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    • Jasper Itinerary

by crazymum Online Now Mar 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I'm celebrating the big 60 - so I want to make this day special towards the end of June

Planned itinerary: Hotel is in Patricia Ave Jasper

Early trip on Parkfields Iceway - first trip out! continue to Maligine Canyon - Google puts this round trip as 56 minutes - then approx. 2 hours for Parkfields Iceway

Then head in the opposite direction to Moose Lake, Berg Lake - OK I accept we have to come back into Jasper first as Moose Lake is in exactly the opposite direction. Google maps puts this at 54 minute drive

We tend to leave the hotel at about 8am, arrive back by 8pm having eaten and head straight to bed - case of seeing as much as we can - we adjust itineraries on the day as some places are too far. I might be 60 but I'm super charged and have been know to wear my sons out with our previous sightseeing!!

Evening meal: yes I want something nice but restaurant prices seem horribly expensive - could possibly take in lunch instead - thinking of Downstream Restaurant or Jasper Brewing Company - both seem to have reasonably priced food with a fairly decent selection. We can't afford to go too much upmarket as we're on a budget.

Plan to do Lake Louise Lake Bow and others from Canmore

Hoping someone can make my big 60 special! Thanks

3 Answers Mar 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    • Patricia Lakes Bungalows

by utelurtz Online Now Mar 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I've never been to Jasper.
      For the summer I booked a cabin for 4 at Patricia Lakes Bungalows. It is the newly built "Pyramid Cabin". On the whole Internet I cannot find any outside pictures of this cabin. Even the reception at the Bungalows told me they don't have any outside pictures.

Did any of you spend a vacation there and can at least describe the Pyramid Cabin?

3 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    • Aboriginal Day

by crazymum Online Now Feb 5, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Just realised that Aboriginal Day is on the day that we depart from Jasper to travel back to Canmore - is it worth delaying our departure time ? We think it will take a good 5 hours on the trans Canadian Highway to get to Canmore - equally it looks a fun thing to do. We will be there on the 20th - does it have any peripheral activities the day prior to the formal aboriginal day? Are there any entrance fees - Google info looks sketchy so I need some help please from those who have visited before or are locals

Many thanxs

• How to travel from Jasper National Park to Yellowstone Park?

by Linthuis Online Now Nov 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Can anyone tell us if it is possible to travel by train between Jasper National Park and Yellowstone Park? That is: where do we get on the train and do we have to change trains somewhere in between until arrival near to Yellowstone Park?
      Who can give us advice on how to do this train journey?
      Many thanks,
      Alice

8 Answers Nov 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    • Park pass to drive through Jasper?

by chandra_a7 Online Now Aug 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Valemount, BC from Edmonton on HWY 16 this weekend, Do I need a park pass just to drive through Jasper in to BC? Thanks!

6 Answers Aug 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    • Icefields Parkway

by crazymum Online Now Aug 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Can someone please advise on hotels mid June

Route

Arrive from internal flight from San Francisco - Calgary -we're on a UK passport - do we need a visa to enter Canada from San Francisco?? Canadian Government haven't yet responded to email

Google maps shows distances in KMs not miles - does Canada work in KMs??

Day 1 stop at Banff think we can afford Lake Louise hotel prices!

Day 2 Jasper x 2 over night stops - Icefields Parkway - could we include this in our drive up to Jasper or return drive??

Day 3 Banff - sightseeing

Day4/5 Calgary - allow extra day for contingency before we depart UK

ALTERNATIVE

Stay at Calgary - do Icefields Pakrway trip as a long expensive day trip from Calgary -

Stop at Banff for 1 night then return to Calgary

What worries me is the speed limits in the National Park - all advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

8 Answers Sep 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    • Camping at Talbot Lake

by jrchefal Online Now Aug 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Hi,

Can I camp at Talbot lake during the month of September?

2 Answers Aug 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    • SophieZhang's Profile Photo

Where to stay in Jasper

by SophieZhang Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Hey! My bf and I plan to visit Jasper national park for 3 days and 3 nights in August but it seems we have trouble finding good places to stay. Hotels in Jasper are all expensive (More than 200 CAD per night). When I was looking for hostels in hostels.com, I have only got dorms for 20 people, sth like that. We would like to have a private room for under 150 CAD per night if possible with free parking and breakfast included. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do/where we should look for? Thanks!!

5 Answers Jul 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    • Park Fee

by snoopyteng Online Now Jun 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM

My Friend and I are driving from Vancouver to Jasper on the first day of our trip. Arrival time to Jasper will be late in the evening. Do we need to buy the pass when we arrive or can we wait till the morning to purchase the park pass?
      Thanks

5 Answers Sep 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    • Jasper for Easter

by johnt101 Online Now Oct 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I'm thinking of going to Jasper for Easter. Does anyone know what the average weather is and will it impact on the views or me getting about.

Thanks

13 Answers Oct 7, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    • Accoommodation help needed

by woodymoore Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM

My wife and I are spending a few days in Jasper in June - arriving and leaving by train.

We are U.K. residents and usually have no problems in finding accommodations on the North American Continent with websites and facilities for making bookings using credit cards. Unfortunately we have not found too many places in the town that have their own websites, and generally they are pretty basic and do not have booking facilities or offer credit card transactions.
      All we need is somewhere clean and comfortable to rest our heads for four nights, preferably with en suite bathroom and breakfast provided. Do any such places exist in Jasper? If so, do they accept credit card bookings, and how can we contact them?
      PLEASE HELP. Woody Moore

5 Answers Jan 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    • xpost/w Banff forum : Intinerary suggestions and critiques please >>>

by suziq999 Online Now Jun 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I've got an updated itinerary - taking into consideration some suggestions that were offered earlier. Please let me know if this makes sense travel-wise and all.

There are a few questions intermingled I still have in the planning, please help out if you can. THANKS!

Day 1: Arrive Calgary

Day 2: Drive to Banff - bow lake/gondola. Stay at 2 Jack Lake

Day 3: Banff - L Minnewanka, Whyte Museum. Stay 2 Jack Lake

Day 4: Day trip to Kootenay - either stay there at hot springs or back in Banff? Is it too far to drive there & back in one day?

Day 5: Drive to LL along Bow Valley Parkway. Stay at LL tent site

Day 6: L Louise - either Agnes Tea house hike or 6 glaciers hike (which is better???) canoe on the lake. Stay LL tent.

Day 7: Yoho - tak falls, natural bridge, etc. stay @ tak falls tent

Day 8: Lake Ohara (is that possible? Am I too late?) Or hoodoos hike. Stay Tak falls tent.

Day 9: Ice fields parkway. Bow lake/Peyto Lake. Stay Num Ti Jah Lodge

Day 10: Columbia Ice fields in AM, Wilcox pass in PM. Stay at wilcox creek tent camping.

Day 11: to Jasper - athabasca falls/Mt Edith Cavall. Stay in a hotel in Jasper

Day 12: Maligne canyon/lake/cruise. Stay in same hotel.

Day 13: Day trip to Mt Robson park or stay in Mt Robson & camp? Is it worth a day trip if we don't hike all the way to Berg Lake? We could walk to Kinney Lake.

Day 14: Drive back to Calgary (should we drive back through Banff or through Edmonton?)

THANKS ALL CAN'T WAIT.

1 Answer Jun 27, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    • Travel to Canadian Rockies

by Devangkanakia Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM

We are a group of 8 adults and 4 children, we are arriving calgary in May 2011 and would like to explore rockies in motorhome or tents for 5 nights only, and we want to drop our motorhomes at Jasper and than take a 2 cars from Jasper to vancouvar. However the problem is there is no drop off facility at Jasper, either we have to go back to calgary to drop the motorhome or drop it at vancouvar, we do not want to rent out the motorhomes for more than 5 nights, can you please advise a renting company who can help us in this. Further can you suggest some good camping grounds in banff and jasper national park. Can you also suggest which places to visit and no. of days to stay in each place in rockies
      Thanks
      Devang Kanakia

3 Answers Mar 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    • RV Parking at Tangle Falls pull off.

by thepeeks2 Online Now Oct 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Several people who wrote about Tangle Falls mention there was a pull off spot to park for the path to Tangle Falls. Is this spot big enough for large RV's.
      Thank You

1 Answer Oct 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    • Going to Jasper Sept 10th

by Gabriel_S Online Now Aug 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Hi all, We will be going to Sunwapta Falls Resort Sept 10th from Seattle Wa. Interested in what we should expect weatherwise. Tried looking for a long range forecast but couldn't find anything that extends that far. Also, is the weather pretty similar to Banff, e.g. Lake louise, Johnson canyon area?

Thanks all in advance

5 Answers Oct 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    • accomodation

by carsal1955 Online Now Jun 17, 2010 at 3:57 AM

We are 2 couples staying in the area for a couple of nights in Sept 2010. Will it be possible to just roll up on the day & find accomodation for that night at that time of year? Is last minute accom listed somewhere in town?

12 Answers Jul 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    • Tenzin's Profile Photo

Car rental - From Jasper to Cranbrook

by Tenzin Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I'm really getting worried but it seems NONE of the car rental companies provide drop off for the above drive. But my air and train tickets have already been booked for this 19 - 25 Jun trip. I'll be most grateful for any guidance.

2 Answers Jun 5, 2010 at 1:04 AM
    • Traveling to Jasper in Feb

by terran0925 Online Now Feb 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be on a business trip to Grande Grande Prairie and would like to take the weekend, Sat and Sun in Jasper and then fly back out of Grande Prairie's airport.

I've been checking the maps and HWY 40 down from Grande Prairie to Grande Cache then down to Jasper in about 5 hours. My question is, how dangerous is that road and how likely is it to be closed? I'm big on photography and I'm primarily going to drive along there down to Jasper and take photos along the way so I don't really want to fly into Edmonton and take the drive to Jasper as it doesn't seem as interesting.

I've also been looking at points of interests in Jasper to see where I can go for photographs when I'm there and are many of them closed in the winter? Also, are there roads that allow me to drive to those points of interests?

I'm not sure if rentals in Alberta put snow tires on the cars they rent out so that might be a problem do because it looks like it's required by law and I wouldn't want to drive along dangerous roads without snows. I live in Toronto and I always have snow tires on my car.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated it. I have the option of flying into Edmonton direct without flying to grande prairie and drive to Grande Prairie for a week then drive back out.

Thanks.

2 Answers Feb 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    • To go or not to go to the Rockies? Help us decide!

by bel1979 Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Hello everyone,
      Hope you can help me with my where-to-go or not to go travel plans struggle! We are planning to go to Canada for 7 nights in mid June. We will fly into Vancouver, where we would like to spend a few days. Then we’re not sure what to do! Drive to the Rockies and fly out of Calgary, or stay in the Vancouver/Vancouver Island area. Basically, I would LOVE to see the Rockies but I’m worried we won’t have enough time there (essentially 4 nights). It’s not just about ticking boxes, we want to be able to enjoy where we are too rather than rush from place to place. So should we just stay longer in Vancouver, go to Vancouver Island etc and save Rockies for another, separate Rockies only holiday? Please help! Thank you.

9 Answers Feb 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    • Calgary to Jasper in winter

by italmelb Online Now Jul 4, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Hi everyone
      Does anyone know what is the best way to get to Jasper in winter from Calgary International Airport? I checked around and apparently there is no shuttle bus unlike Banff

What are my options? My plan was to spend 2 days in Jasper and 2 days in Banff
      coming from Seattle and then my next destination would be Toronto

20 Answers Aug 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    • From Vancouver to the Candian Rockies & back in 10 days

by ma12 Online Now May 20, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Hi all,

We are 2 adults and a 12 yr kid planing a round trip by car from Vancouver.
      Are 10 day enough? What is the recommended rout, considering main attractions? Nice places stay over night? Are there any local festivals during August that we should attend?

Thank you in advance,
      Meir

3 Answers May 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM
    • Road Trip Prince Rupert to Jasper National Park

by Warren&Eva Online Now Jan 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Hello, my wife and I are from New Orleans. We are considering a car trip from Prince Rupert to Jasper National Park. We would be traveling the last two weeks of September 2009. We are seeking advice on doing this trip. What are the road conditions and availability of gas, etc. at that time? Can you recommend any literature that might be helpful? Can you recommend any one else we might contact for information? We would be traveling back to Seattle after visiting the park.
      Thanks for your time,
      Warren & Eva Kelley

5 Answers Jan 10, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    • Libby.3's Profile Photo

Jasper to Vancouver

by Libby.3 Online Now Jul 21, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Please, anyone aware of daytime bus travel from Jasper to Vancouver 17th Sept?
      Regards Shirley

5 Answers Jul 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Jasper to Banff

by Libby.3 Online Now Jul 21, 2008 at 3:15 AM

We need transport from Jasper to Banff to link up with Airporter going to Calgary. What else is available besides Brewsters which leaves 12.30pm not getting into Calgary till late. We would like to have a wee look around Calgary city before we fly out early next morning.
      Thanks,
      Shirley

• coming on July 4 weekend..need inputs

by coolvoila Online Now Jun 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Hi
      I am visiting Calgary, Banff and Jasper over the July 4 weekend. First 2 nights in Banff , then 2 nights in jasper and then on the way back last nite stay again in Banff. Can you please let me know which are the MUST SEE places in these 2 areas. IWe plan to see all the famous places/lakes but dont know if will need to hike to get to these places or are they accessible by car. will be coming with a 1 year old and husband and another couple. Can we manage with a stroller or should we get a child carrier instead?Also hows the weather like in July 4th weekendand should we carry clothes for extreme heat- shorts /t shirts etc and a light jacket.Any other tips about visitng that place with a 1 yr old.
      Lastly if we have 1 afternoon available for Calgary whats the ebst thing to see in calgary or in the famous stampede.

A quick response will be highly appreciated as I only have few days to plan?
      thnaks in advance?

Five days from Vancouver to Vancouver!

by Libby.3 Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM

After stepping off an Alaska cruise 7-8am on 13th September we are undecided as to how to do and see the most through Banff, Jasper etc before heading back to Vancouver to fly home to Oz on the 18th. Have read through lots of advice to others but still SO undecided! Considered car hire but wonder how we would cope with being on the oppposite side of the road?? - (we are around the 60 yo range)
      Doubt that we will get back to this area (So many places to visit) so the choicest if we can. Would consider all modes of transport!
      Many thanks,
      Shirley and Gary

10 Answers Jul 8, 2008 at 3:13 PM