Japan Travel Answers

change location
albaaust's Profile Photo

Need help buying a global knife

by albaaust Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I love cooking and am hoping to buy a Global Santoko knife (G 48) hopefully as part of a set. I know I can buy online but they only come singly. Is it better to buy in Japan or USA where we are also visiting? If Japan where should I go? We will be in Tokyo but also Fukuoka.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Need help buying a global knife

by dru46 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I'm not sure about Fukuoka, but in Tokyo, Global has their own shop in Roppongi.

maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&h...

You can probably find them in various department stores all over Japan. I looked at their online shop (Japanese) and couldn't find the g-48 you mentioned. I found several that were similar though. The GF-32 (13cm) is retailing for 12,600 JPY, but probably 12,000 JPY at their shop. Not a huge savings.

If you want to see other options, I highly recommend going to Kappabashi. It is about 5 minutes from Asakusa and makes for a good morning and early afternoon trip. Go in the early morning (9am-11am) to Asakusa and visit Sensoji. Most of the shops usually open around 10am. Then walk over to Kappabashi which is west of Sensoji. The entire Kappabashi street can take an hour to walk up and down. there are several shops there and many of them make their own knives. I went to Kamata, a popular shop for tourists. The staff were the friendliest when I went in and they helped me buy a good knife for my mom. They showed me the options and while their English can be limited, they will do their best to help you. Prices are similar though. Looking at Amazon, a Global knife retails for under120.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • albaaust's Profile Photo

by albaaust Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Thanks very much Dru for your detailed response. I certainly will walk to the area you have indicated. It still may be cheaper to buy in Australia. Still, I'll have fun looking :)

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Glad to help in any way. Hope you have a fun time.

PS: Sometimes getting a knife that is available only in Japan is worth more than a famous name. ;)

by albaaust Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Thanks again Dru. I did buy a small Japanese knife in Japan on the last visit (no idea what district) that is quite good. You are right about brand names but, I have absolutely no idea how to tell which Japanese knife is better than another Japanese knife. If you have suggestions that would be great but, I really want a Santoko so that I can ditch the others I have.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I can't really say which is better than the other. It really depends on what you want and what your budget is. The place I went to is a small shop that does their own stuff. The knife I bought, a santoko, was not a cut knife. It was folded many times which would make it stay sharper for a longer time. In reality, any knife should be okay. Look at the handle and judge it by that. I believe they are all good knives and I wouldn't be able to tell a difference as I'm not a professional chef. :)

If you want to see the area a bit better, type "Tawaramachi Station" into Google Maps. Look a bit north and you'll see "Asakusa Station". Just west of that is a large street (white colour). That is the kitchen goods area.

I did write a blog post about the knives here: http://wp.me/p2liAm-1e8
    You can read about what I learned in a single trip to the shop.

by albaaust Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Thanks once again Dru and your blog (twitter) is very informative.I think I'll go the area you indicated whether I buy a knife or not.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Japan Travel Answer Locations