Japan Travel Answers

change location
Rarose's Profile Photo

Pocket Wifi Rental

by Rarose Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Hi,
Is renting a pocket wifi during trip in Japan worth it?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

Re: Pocket Wifi Rental

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Yes, cheaper than paying roaming charges.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Do you need wifi all the time? That's what you really need to ask yourself before you can say it is or isn't worth it.

In terms of connectivity, there is a B Communication data SIM that is cheaper. You get 1 GB for about 3000 yen for up to 1 month. I don't know how it is set up or how to get it easily. You can get it at larger electronics stores. The only problem, it wastes a lot of your time to get and prepare.

Pocket wifi? Easier to get than a data only SIM, and cheaper than a phone rental. If you absolutely need to be connected all the time, or most of the time, a good option.

Free wifi? All Starbucks offer free wifi but you need to get a user name and password first. Also, NTT East (Tokyo and Tohoku) is now offering free wifi at many locations throughout Japan. You need to get a special card with a user name and password at Narita and I think Haneda International Terminal only. It is free for 2 weeks only.

1 member found this helpful

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

As of the beginning of this year there is one company offering SIM rental. You pick it up at Narita. I can't remember the name though, just remember reading the news release.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

When I was in Japan last October, I was able to get on free wifi everywhere. Unless you need to be online all the time for the work, etc., I don't think you need wifi card.

• Rarose's Profile Photo

by Rarose Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM

dru46 wrote:
    Do you need wifi all the time? That's what you really need to ask yourself before you can say it is or isn't worth it.

In terms of connectivity, there is a B Communication data SIM that is cheaper. You get 1 GB for about 3000 yen for up to 1 month. I don't know how it is set up or how to get it easily. You can get it at larger electronics stores. The only problem, it wastes a lot of your time to get and prepare.

Pocket wifi? Easier to get than a data only SIM, and cheaper than a phone rental. If you absolutely need to be connected all the time, or most of the time, a good option.

Free wifi? All Starbucks offer free wifi but you need to get a user name and password first. Also, NTT East (Tokyo and Tohoku) is now offering free wifi at many locations throughout Japan. You need to get a special card with a user name and password at Narita and I think Haneda International Terminal only. It is free for 2 weeks only.

I guess I don't need it all the time. Thanks for your advice 

• Rarose's Profile Photo

by Rarose Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Bilimari wrote:
    When I was in Japan last October, I was able to get on free wifi everywhere. Unless you need to be online all the time for the work, etc., I don't think you need wifi card.

Ok, thank you bilimari

• Rarose's Profile Photo

by Rarose Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM

SfumatoPants wrote:
    As of the beginning of this year there is one company offering SIM rental. You pick it up at Narita. I can't remember the name though, just remember reading the news release.

Thank you for your information. I'll check about it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Japan Travel Answer Locations