Japan Travel Answers

change location

Japan and Kyoto for 8 days

by AndrewLA Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

My aunt and uncle are travelling to Japan in April for 8 days, could someone help with their iternery please? They are staying with relative in Kanagawa (Yokohama).

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Re: Japan and Kyoto for 8 days

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:26 AM

During our stay in Japan, we visited Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. For your aunt and uncle, a closer loop like Tokyo, Kyoto, and Nara could be perfect. 3 days in Kyoto and a full day in nara would be enough to cover all. When it comes to Tokyo, 3-4 days are minimum required. if you add a Mount Fuji trip to it, all days will be occupied. You can check my Tokyo (members.virtualtourist.com/m... , Kyoto (members.virtualtourist.com/m... and Nara (members.virtualtourist.com/m... pages for useful tips.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • shrimp56's Profile Photo

by shrimp56 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Alternatively you can do Nara as a day trip from Kyoto should they prefer. The train is fast and convenient.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:38 AM

If they don't want to travel a lot, they can still see a lot of history if they are based in Yokohama. Kamakura isn't too far to visit for a day. It is also possible to go up to Nikko and Hakone is good for Mt. Fuji, if you can see it through the clouds.

As for Tokyo, being in Yokohama will make it difficult, but not impossible to see. Timing is everything.

Regarding muratkoman's schedule, it is a good schedule but some time is lost on the train. I would do 2-3 days in Kyoto, and maybe 1 day in Nara. Due to the time, I would consider skipping Nara.

Assuming that 1-2 days is lost on getting in and out of Japan, and maybe 1 more day on the Shinkansen, that is effectively 5 days of sightseeing. Assuming a 3 day trip to Kyoto, you would have 1 full day and 2 half days (depending on when you arrive). Arrive as early as possible as Kyoto is pretty quiet at night. Return to Yokohama late. That's my best advice.

• by AndrewLA Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Thank you. Any chance to see Cherri Blossom around 18th April to 25th April in Japan, what about Nagano? thanks for your help.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I mentioned it in the other post but didn't talk about Nagano. It is possible as it is in a higher region, but it will be at the tail end of the cherry blossoms. Might be a mixture of pink and green on the trees if you are lucky enough.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Japan Travel Answer Locations