Japan Travel Answers

change location
manoka2's Profile Photo

Where to register and insure a car from Japan as a tourist

by manoka2 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Hello, For a world tour I would like to buy a used electric car in Japan, but as a tourist I can't register and insure it there. Thus I would appreciate very much any information about where I could get registration and insurance for it as a tourist. Many thanks in advance! manoka

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Where to register and insure a car from Japan as a tourist

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I think you have already answered your own question; you can't.

My daughter moved to Japan a couple of months ago to work there (she needed a job offer before a work permit was issued). She found that without the appropriate paperwork and certificate proving residence, you can't even buy a cell phone or open a bank account.

Japan isn't the only place where a tourist can't buy a car. You'd run into exactly the same issue in other countries (Canada for one, and the US as well, I believe) . In China, you can't even rent a car to drive it as a tourist.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • manoka2's Profile Photo

by manoka2 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for your answer! As far as I understand, it would be possible buy a car from there - actually even without leaving home - and then have it shipped to another country. So, if I could get permanent residency in another country - I would prefer Australia, or a country in southeast-asia - then it might be viable to register and insure it there. I know of an acquaintance who was in the U.S. only with a tourist visa, and he was able to buy and sell a camper there. Thus, apparently there are some countries, where one can get registration and insurance for a car as a tourist.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yes, buying a car (electric or otherwise) is unlikely an issue. The issue is putting it on the road.

If all you are planning to do is to have it put in a shipping container and sent abroad, that is a totally different issue. Then the only issue is putting it on the road when it arrives at the destination country; the vehicle will have to meet local motor vehicle standards and import restrictions.

1 member found this helpful

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

As mentioned, you pretty much answered your own questions. I think you might also have a small problem with buying one as you need proof that you have a place to park it. You need a letter or a receipt from a company/landlord that says you are renting a space. If you are sending it overseas, then it might be easier but there are more questions to be asked. You might want to consider an importer rather than doing it yourself. That or figure out all of the procedures. I doubt it is as public due to people wanted to keep it a secret, but I could be wrong.

Some info can be found here, but it isn't really answering what is involved in buying a car:

dannychoo.com/post/en/26721/...">dannychoo.com/post/en/26721/...

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Japan Travel Answer Locations