Jamaica Travel Answers

change location

Plane Tickets

by dab37843 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

We are planning a trip to Jamaica in February 2014. I know this is really far in advance but we have to save $$ to go. How far in advance is too far to buy tickets? What are the lowest prices I can expect to get on a ticket? Is $500 cheap? We would be flying into Montego Bay... Thank you in advance for the help!!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Plane Tickets

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM

There is no universal best time to book tickets. Of course, knowing where you're flying from might help suggest what a fair price should be.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Where are you flying from. $500 from Europe is a bargain but probably you are coming from the USA!!!

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM

We have found that the earlier you book the better prices. It's not the rule but a generalisation.As you get very near to your departure date it's a fair certainty the prices will go up.

• Re: Plane Tickets

by dab37843 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:23 AM

We are flying out of the Missouri, in the US... St. Louis, Kansas City, Spfd area.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Check out US Airways, at the moment their airfares are around $600.00, this will give you an idea of costs. Also, you will be travelling in high season.

by GottaRun Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

In an article I read recently, research by CheapAir.com indicated that the best fares were available for domestic flights 49 days in advance and around 80 days in advance if you're flying overseas. However you're not likely to get a real bargain if you're traveling during peak holiday periods or when there's high demand like during spring break. Keep in mind that the airlines sell their cheapest seats first and as the aircraft fills up, the price of seats goes up as well. You can get some idea of how many seats are left by looking at the seats available feature when going through the booking process for a specific flight.

by trevorqd Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Generally you want to book around 4-6 weeks in advance. Any sooner and you'll likely pay more as the airline will view you as the type who just wants to play it safe, make sure you have a secured reservation and are willing to pay extra to avoid the stress of waiting and not knowing. Buy later and you'll be seen as someone in a more "emergency" situation willing to pay more. The best site I've found is www.kayak.com -- I like it because it searches all the other airline's sites + orbitz, travelocity, priceline to find the best. DO NOT just go straight to United.com or delta.com etc, as you'll pay way more (in general) for the same flight vs. going through an aggregator like kayak. You may also check Travelzoo.com which publishes a weekly "Top 20 Travel Deals" which nearly always includes deals to the Caribbean. $500 is a reasonable and likely price to pay. $350 to $400 would be a great bargain, and if you wait too long you'll likely pay over $600. Hope this helps and good luck!

by SarahRTW Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

As others have suggested, the earlier you can book, the better deal you are likely to get. As someone in the travel industry, I can tell you that the old days of last-minute deals are rare. (There are some, but not often.). The day of the week (mid-week vs weekend) can also factor in the price as can the time of departure. The best way is to talk to a travel agent, they can advise you when the best times are.

• toemayn's Profile Photo

by toemayn Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I've been checking on flights out of St. Louis myself american airlines is a little over $500 US airlines is $140 more.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Jamaica Travel Answer Locations