Jamaica Travel Answers

change location

I'm thinking off going jamaica

by missyk- Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Thinking off going jamaica in 2months time 2 go see my long term friend but I'm a english woman who will b traveling alone my friend lives in country an said its safer 2 be there then the city I will be staying in his home plz get bk 2 me many thanks x

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: I'm thinking off going jamaica

by leics Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Are you asking whether travelling alone to Jamaica is a good idea or whether staying with your friend in the country is a good idea?

I haven't been to Jamaica but if you have not yet met your friend in real life (it sounds as if you have not, my apologies if you have) then I would be very wary of staying in his home, at least to begin with. That applies to any country anywhere, not just Jamaica. A real friend would understand this.

If that is what you are asking, perhaps you might arrange a hotel or similar in a town near your friend, and meet him there?

My apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. If you mean Jamaica itself, then I'm sure other VT-ers will soon be along with advice and info. Meanwhile you might like to look at the VT Jamaica travel guide:

Jamaica Travel Guide

where you will find loads of info and tips, all written by VT locals and visitors.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I would have to agree with Leics. If this is an internet friend, I would never agree to stay at his house. In fact, I would meet him at a VERY Public place like a restaurant or hotel lobby. Good luck.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

quote: " go see my long term friend ".......does not sound to me as if she doesn't know the person, AND Jamaica is an area where there is a fair amount of crime, and her friend realizes that as a foreign woman, travelling alone, who is not used to foreign travel, may well be better off staying in a private home.
    BUT, if she is not able to make a decision based upon knowing her friend; how could anyone on a website do so? Poster should read up about crime in Jamaica and try to personally find others who have recently been there, as I would think there would be many in UK?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm not sure you are right about there being many in the UK who have visited Jamaica, Trish. Having ancestral origins in a country does not automatically equate to visiting and it's an expensive place to get to from here. Neither do I think one can assume a 'long term friend' is someone one has met in reality.

But hopefully the poster will come back with more info.....

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I have what I consider "long term friends" here in VT. Many of them are men. But do you think I would meet any one of them somewhere OTHER than a very public restaurant? No way. Women just cannot be tooo careful..................

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I've read this post several times and admit to being confused about the question: the safety of traveling alone to Jamaica, or the safety of staying with a gentleman friend in a rural area.

It's also unclear if this is a friend you've personally met on numerous occasions, or only been corresponding with via the internet for some time.

If it's the latter, I wouldn't advise staying in his home nor in an isolated location where access to public transport might be difficult if the visit does not go well.

Knowing exactly what area of Jamaica you're bound for would also be helpful as some may be more prone to safety issues than others.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Jamaica Travel Answer Locations