Jakarta Travel Answers

change location
gabynicolae's Profile Photo

Jakarta

by gabynicolae Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Hello travelers,
I'll be in September in Jakarta for 4 days. I have some questions:
- Can you recomend some good hotels in Jakarta, in a nice area?
- What nice places and locations must I visit?
- What info do you have about Garuda Airlines?
- Is it OK to rent a car or I don't need it? How is the traffic?
Thank you in advance for all your answers.
Best regards, Gabriel

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • wabat's Profile Photo

Re: Jakarta

by wabat Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Gabriel,
    Ill just comment on the car. Traffic in Jakarta is truly awful and you can sit in it for hours. I would thoroughly recommend against hiring a car.
    thats the bad news = good news is that taxis (eg Bluebird) are high quality and relatively cheap and use the meter. Cheap is good when you consider how long you could potentially be sitting in them.
    You need to plan your moving around the city carefully so as to avoid peak times and thus the worst of the queues - if you do this youll be fine.
    Notwthstanding the traffic I like Jakarta

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I've been to Jakarta twice before. As mentioned, the traffic can be horrendous especially in the older sections of the city. If you wish to stay in a quiet and greener part of town I suggest the Hotel Atlet Century Park where I stayed. It's right beside a big park, walking distance to Senayan Plaza mall and near the tollway to/from the airport. Taxi cabs (specifically Blue Bird) are the way to go around. In my opinion there's not much to see in JKT so if your intention is to sight see, your 4 days will be better spent in Bali or Yogyakarta. Should you decide to go to these places, then Garuda is the airline of choice even among locals.

Have fun in Indonesia.

• cokes's Profile Photo

by cokes Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I stayed in Hotel Mulia and it was a really nice hotel in a nice Location close to Senayan City and so on. As for the traffic it`s bad so just take a blue bird or Express Taxi when you there. Nice places to visit would be Ancol Marina ,there is alot of places there to check out. From there you can also do a trip to Thousand Island if you wanna go for a day trip for snorkeling or so. Monas is not too far from Hotel Mulia ,Taman Mini is great place to check out as well. If you plan to rent a car ,best you rent one if plan to do a trip maybe to Bogor ,Puncak or Bandung which is also very nice places to go and see and not too far from Jakarta.

Garuda is a good airline ,I flew with them to Bali ,Jogja ,Bali and Lombok before and always enjoyed the flight. Also used Batavia Airlines and Lion Air in which I had good experiences as well.

• dodolbete's Profile Photo

by dodolbete Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Some people come to Jakarta for business, so they are most likely are not going too far from their business locations (place for dining, shopping and entertainment centres). Some people are also visiting the museums, or even further to Thousand Islands. So, would you mind to provide more specification on what do you mean by good hotels and nice areas (such as the price range and your choice of locations), and then also the things which interest you more please?

Regards,
    Dewi

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Jakarta

by ChrisPatton Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Jakarta has a very wode range of hotels to choose from. The top range are places like the Mandarin Oriental and The Four Seasons. The Borobodur Hotel is also very nice and handy for the city centre.
    There is also a wide range of different things to do. Jakarta is full of malls and markets for the shopping enthusiast. The coastal area features Ancol waterfront, SeaWorld, and Dufan amusement park. There are a number of temples, mosques and churches and other historical sites all over the city.
    Garuda airlines is pretty much the best of Indonesia's domestic airlines. It's a little more expensive than some of its rivals, but you get much more flexibility in flight times and better service on the planes.
    Transportation in Jakarta itself can be quite hectic. There are taxis, of course, but also a range f different qualities of buses, mini-buses and motorbike style taxis to choose from. I wouldn't suggest hiring a car to drive on your own, as navigation is difficult, but hiring a car and driver for the day may be a reasonable alternative. Most hotels can arrange this at competitive prices.
    depemds what you like, Ancol, Dufan SeaWorld etc. Batavia old town

Garuda good
    Car and driver maybe an advanatge in traffic

1 member found this helpful

• gabynicolae's Profile Photo

by gabynicolae Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Thank you very much for your good info! As soon as I'll have other questions I'll send it to you.
    Best Regards, Gabriel

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Jakarta