Jaisalmer Travel Answers

change location
Dee_P's Profile Photo

Jaisalmer 1 day desert safari

by Dee_P Online Now Jan 23, 2010 at 6:19 AM

Hi,

Me and a friend will be driving from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer - so will arrive in Jaisalmer around 2pm. Plan to visit the Jaisalmer fort and Gadisisar Lake that afternoon. The next day do the Patwon Ki Haveli and the desert safari in the evening (sunset). And the next morning get our driver to take us from Jaisalmer to Pushkar. Is this possible?

I read that most desert safari's are for 2 days and 1 night. But we only want to do one day and one night.

How do we go about booking this? And what time would they pick us up for the desert safari. We don't really want to do a whole day on the dunes. Say a few hours, see the sunset, have food, sleep and come back the next morning. Is this possible?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Re: Jaisalmer 1 day desert safari

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

We took one full day from early morning to mid morning next day safari, with jeep & camels.
    Our safari was organised by the Hotel we stayed,we desperately wanted to go into the Thar desert, but due to already booked train ticket we could only make short tour.
    Ranuka hotel has its own desert tour agency and they can make made to masure trip for you.
    For our trip we paid Rs1500 pp, including jeep ride, visiting 4 different sites within Thar desert, lunch, dinner,stay in tents for the night and early morning camel ride into the desert to see the sunrise, after that they took us back directly to the train station.
    It was marvelous experiance. My teenage son truly enjoed the experiance,as our driver took us on a dune surfing with the jeep..
    Contact hotel Ranuka at hotelranuka@rediffmail.com
    or you can contact them at 0091 2992 252757.
    The owners are two brothers who have been in this buissnes since '88 and have very successful & tirving buissnes, and are not into ripping ppl off.
    I found that their safari tour was much cheaper than others and more comprehencive.
    What I liked about them, was that on arrival they mentioned it, but never made us that we have to take it up.
    Hotel Ranuka& agency is situated just within the old city walls,once you go trought the main gate you are on Chandi Chowk, take the emidiate first left aliway and walk nearly to the end,Ranuka is on the left hand side. You can not miss it!
    Hope this helps.
    Have great time in Jaislamer. Do not miss the Raja Mantion, and if you are after good food, visit Deepak Bakery and cafeteria and have cold lasi and nice bag of cookies and pasteries. Realy worth the visit.We end up with big box of cokkies for our train journey, best buy if I ever made one in India...
    Beepaks Bakery is on the left side of the street on the main bazar halfaway to the gates of the Fort.
    MacedonianUK

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Jan 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Hi

I would advise you to compare prices and tours before you book one. Around Gandhi Chowk (in Jaisalmer) there are many tour operators for desert tours.
    We did that- and found one that gave us a tailor-made tour. You can do day/night tour or afternoon/evening tour. Whichever suits you best.
    Leave Jaisalmer around midday by jeep- takes you to a desert camp in about 2 hours. Once at the camp, you will have refreshments & snacks, and around 5pm will be taken by camel to the dunes. Camel ride until after sunset, then back to camp for a wonderful evening of entertainment- fire dancing, folk singing and an excellent selection of Rajasthani food dishes. If you spend the night you will stay in well equipped tents and be comfortable.
    At about 10pm you will get taken back to Jaisalmer by Jeep if you only do afternoon/evening tour.
    I again STRONGLY URGE you to compare prices in Gandhi chowk. There are at least 6 operators there.
    They probably will pick you up at your hotel before leaving.
    I am sorry that I don't remember the name of the company we used.
    You can see photos of camp on my Jaisalmer page. (Link is on my Homepage)

Yes- possible to hire car & driver to Pushkar. Distance is 490km. Your hotel should be able to organize this for you.

• Re: Jaisalmer 1 day desert safari

by rajkhan11 Online Now Jan 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM

pretty possible to do came safari for one day and one night. early morning visit the city places and after noon head off to desert which is 50 km far away from main city. taxi will make you move over there.stay over night there and next day drive to pushkar.
    plenty of taxies are avaliable ,don't go with just one compare and shoot the best.

• Dee_P's Profile Photo

by Dee_P Online Now Jan 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Thanks to all. Thats very helpful. We have looked at some Haveli's and have enquired about the desert safari there, they said it is possible.

As for drivers - we are both good at haggling, so i'm sure we will be ok.

Thanks again

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines