Jaisalmer Travel Answers

change location
kevinborg's Profile Photo

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer - An Alternative to Train Transport

by kevinborg Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Hi all !

I need to travel between Jodhpur to Jaisalmer next month (on a Friday) but I want an alternative means of transport to trains. The reason being, basically, that we will arrive in Jodhpur Airport at 2 pm in the afternoon and the next available train from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer is only at 11.45pm, which is almost 10 hours later!!! And thus, it means that with train transport we only arrive in Jaisalmer the following day at around 6am!! So we would like to know of an alternative means of transport so that we travel to and actually arrive in Jaisalmer much earlier than the train option.

So can somebody please tell me, what are the best options that I have? Are there any good bus/coach or taxi services which frequently travel from Jodhpur to Jaiselmar? If yes I appreciate, if you can indicate the travel times (maybe you can provide a link) the duration of travel needed between these two cities, the price for this trip and from which area in Jodhpur we must go to, to take this means of transport? And finally, is there a possibility to take any of these services, from Jodhpur airport straight to Jaiselmar City?

Thanks a lot and I look forward for your replies, and looking also forward for my first time experience to visit incredible India!

Regards, Kevin Malta, Europe

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Jodhpur to Jaisalmer - An Alternative to Train Transport

by vpas Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:09 AM

This journey takes only about 4 hours by road. There deluxe buses available every hour. It should cost you around 150 Rs and would take about 5 hours due to some stops in between. You can also hire a cab which will be more comfortable. The cab would cost you about 4000 to 7000 depending on the car type etc.. Have a good trip,

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kevinborg's Profile Photo

by kevinborg Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM

OH thanks a lot for your very useful information vpas! the deluxe buses option seems to be a great way for us to get to Jaisalmer if they are every hour. But can you please tell me, where can I get these Deluxe Buses from? Is it from Joshpur's city center, or you can even take them from Jodhpur's airport? And is it necessary to book these bus tickets from advance? and finally, how can I do to buy such tockets?

Thanks a lot for your help and may you have a wonderful day!

Kevin

Be the first to rate this answer!

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

bus.makemytrip.com -- is a very safe company to book with. You could also check with -- indiamike.com/india/buses-au...... Have a good trip,

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

The bus is best option unless you are willing to take taxi. To return, in Ghandi Chowk Jaisalmer there are a number of travel agents where you can book a bus. Make sure that its a luxury bus WITH air-con, and try and get front seat (they usually have more leg space)

• aadil's Profile Photo

by aadil Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Car hire is a bit expensive but there are local as well as luxury or even air-conditioned (AC) buses also available. Try www.redbus.in for online bookings of buses in any part of India. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Aadil.

• jptt's Profile Photo

by jptt Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Hi i am a local from Jodhpur. You can always rent a car which will give you the flexibility for the timings and will be much comfortable. you can take a look at indianheritagetours.org which can help you book a car.

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM

jptt wrote:

Hi i am a local from Jodhpur. You can always rent a car which will give you the flexibility for the timings and will be much comfortable. you can take a look at indianheritagetours.org which can help you book a car.

I notice that your personal website is indiaheritagetours.org.  Advertising is not allowed ont the travel or other forums,  Please read the forum guidelines

• kevinborg's Profile Photo

by kevinborg Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind replies! I really appreciate that. We have two very good options then: car hire/taxi or bus. Depending on the car hire price to get to Jaisalmer, I will decide from airport which means of transport to opt for. Would appreciate though, if someone can help me out and indicate where exactly in Jodhpur, I must go to, to catch a Private/Deluxe Bus with Aircondition. And lastly, do these aircon private buses, travel between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer every hour?

Thanks for your assistance.

Kevin

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

kevinborg wrote:

Thanks everyone for your kind replies! I really appreciate that. We have two very good options then: car hire/taxi or bus. Depending on the car hire price to get to Jaisalmer, I will decide from airport which means of transport to opt for. Would appreciate though, if someone can help me out and indicate where exactly in Jodhpur, I must go to, to catch a Private/Deluxe Bus with Aircondition. And lastly, do these aircon private buses, travel between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer every hour?

Thanks for your assistance.

Kevin

There should be an information booth inside the airport (re buses). Otherwise, go into the city and you will find plenty of small travel agencies. Not sure how often the buses go. If you hire a taxi, go to the Pre-Paid taxi booth at the airport. You pay before you go, and hence do not get ripped of re cost.Almost all airports in India have the Pre-Pay option.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines