Jaipur Travel Answers

change location
cilsley's Profile Photo

Step Well, Abhaneri

by cilsley Online Now Apr 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I'm staying in Jaipur for several days and plan to spend one of them getting to Abhaneri and its step well.
Has anyone done this who's prepared to offer me advise about getting there?
A taxi would be easy but might lack the (hint of) adventure aspect I so crave!

Many thanks,

Chris

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Step Well, Abhaneri

by lynnehamman Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 5:56 AM

From Jaipur catch a bus to Sikandra ( 1 and a half hours), and then take a taxi for the 10km ride to Abhaneri

You can also catch a bus from Jaipur to Gular, and then walk 5km to Abhaneri.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Re: Step Well, Abhaneri

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Hi! Chris!

What a coincidence! I went to Chand Baori, Abhaneri, Rajathan, in early Mar., 2012. Full details are here:

"Moon Step Well - Chand Baori" - Jaipur Things to Do Tip by anilpradhanshillong

Go early, say by 6 am, as Jaipur will be *very* hot now. If you are taking a taxi, ask driver who will pay at the three toll gates along the way. Take *plenty* of drinking water and some eats with you. Rather primitive surroundings.

Just as we were ready to return to Jaipur (11 am), quite a few tourist buses, full of loud tourists hoped off. If you start early, you'll be spared such scenes! Also, two foreigners parked their 'Bullet' motobikes under the shade. They had been driving from Delhi towards Jaipur. Forget the 'official' guide who hangs around the entrance to the stepwell.

You could take along some uncooked rice grains to feed the flocks of pigeons at the stepwell. Don't be fooled by the artefacts along the walls of the enclosure. These have been recovered from other places and kept there. They are not part of the stepwell.

Next to the stepwell is the Harshamata Temple. Carvings on the dome of this temple are excellent.

Enjoy your trip!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines