Jaffna Travel Answers

change location

Nainativu and Accommodation in Jaffna

by Andare Online Now May 28, 2010 at 1:58 AM

How hard is it to go to Nainativu from Jaffna? I heard there is a ferry, and there is heaps of people waiting all the time.. How does it all work? Do you book the ferry and wait for your turn?
Also how hard is it to find accommodation?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: Nainativu and Accommodation in Jaffna

by HansDK Online Now May 28, 2010 at 2:29 AM

AFAIK the boat service to Nainativu is first come first served. Reservations is not possible.

It is still pretty hard to find accommodation in Jaffna for 2 reasons.

1. The lack of hotels/guesthouses.
    2. The influx of Sri Lankans from the south going on pilgrimage to Jaffna.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Nainativu and Accommodation in Jaffna

by Andare Online Now May 29, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Thank you.. your information is very helpful :)
    How long will the trip to Nainativu and back take from Jaffna? We just want to quickly see it, thats all..

by grizzsen Online Now Jun 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM

It is very easy to go to Nainativu from Jaffna. The only time the army checks for is the amount of people in the vehicle if you are traveling in groups. Approximately it takes 1 hour from Jaffna town. Once you get to the ferry, you have to line with the locals. You do not book in advance. After around 60 people gather the ferry takes off. Just a warning, they crowd the ferry. It is not a typical western ferry. The only safety feature of the ride is the provided life jacket. The ferry takes 20 - 30 minutes to reach the destination. The first stop is at the Buddhist temple and the final stop is at the Hindu temple. However, there's no tourist hotels I am aware of. Otherwise, it is a great place to visit. On the way from Jaffna to Nainativu, you will see lots of beautiful gifts of nature. I highly recommend a trip to Nainativu.

by Shamil_Latiff Online Now May 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I'm not sure about how had it is to go to Nainativu from Jaffna, but I do know that accommodation is not very hard to find.

I've stayed at this place a couple of times - Pillaiyar Inn Jaffna and was frankly surprised to find such a good hotel so far away from Colombo.

If you're interested book with them here - bookings.senit.lk/hotels/pil...

to get the cheapest online reservation rate.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines