Jacó Travel Answers

change location

Bus from San Jose to Jaco and hotel?

by joysmucker Online Now Sep 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Hi We arrive at the airport @ noon and want to get to Jaco. Where is the best place to catch a bus if there is one? And anyone know any inexpensive places to stay in Jaco for the night? We are catching the fast boat to Montezuma the next day at 10:30 a.m. at Herradura beach.

Also we will be in San Jose 12/30 and 12/31; we leave on 1/1/09. Any suggestions on fun places to stay for a few days and new years eve in San Jose?

Thanks
Joy

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Kindra's Profile Photo

Re: Bus from San Jose to Jaco and hotel?

by Kindra Online Now Sep 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I disagree with the other poster- its pretty easy to get to Jaco once arriving in San Jose. From the airport, you would need to take a taxi to the Coca Cola bus station downtown- negotiate with the taxi and I wouldn't pay more than15 US to get there.

Buses go to Jaco from Coca Cola regularly- best is to make sure you get on an express which is direct and only 2.5 hours.. The non-express bus takes 4 hours because it stops everywhere. Buy your tickets at the ticket office next to the station.. it is about 2000 colones one way (about4 US per person). The buses are basic, no washroom or A/C but it keeps cool with air through the windows and there is one brief bathroom break en route. You may wish to email Transportes Jaco for an up to date schedule (though they may not get back to you) but I believe you should be able to get the 3, 5 or 7 pm buses to Jaco (you wouldnt make it to the 1pm one if arriving at noon). Watch your bags at the Coca Cola station- it is known for pickpocketing... also keep your bags with you and always an eye on them on the bus.

Hotel de Haan is a good option for budget digs- and it has a pool in case you need to cool down. About20 for a private room. It is a5 taxi to Herradura Beach- about 8 minute ride realistically. Montezuma is wicked and so much fun. feel free to ask questions: www.hoteldehaan.com and transjacosa@ice.co.cr (you do realize that you could take the 3:30 pm bus from Coca Cola that goes straight to Montezuma, right? Its10 plus the cost of the ferry which is about 750 colones or1.50.. its longer but saves you money on35 launch and hotel room in Jaco, which isnt worth too much time IMO).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bus from San Jose to Jaco and hotel?

by bbratt601 Online Now Sep 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I agree with the above post about everything she says I was just there and was in a similar situation. Coca Cola Bus station is the way to go. Just watch your bags and you will be fine.

by usohjack Online Now Oct 2, 2008 at 12:12 AM

deprt the terminal go left to the street. Cross the drive, and that is the bus stop(500 or so feet from exit door). Cabs are now20 dollars to San Jose check price before getting in. Bus is less than 500 colones($1)Bus will probably not accept US$. It will be red and white (TUSA) or a cream and green color with a San Jose sign in the front left window. They will put luggage under in storage, just keep an eye on the right side when others get off. Keep wallet/Passport/small pack with you so that it doesn't get swipped. Take to San Jose, ask driver for Coca Cola Terminal. If he is nice he will let you off two blocks from terminal, if not station is 5-6 blocks at Merced. Use the maps section of www.ohiost.net then AmericasLink-CR section then pick maps. The Bus is now 1934Cln about4 I took it Friday here. The Bus section of this sites left picture is Coca Cola Terminal taken from the ticket booth to give you refference.

by usohjack Online Now Oct 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM

I stay at the Hotel Dehaan in Jaco. As a matter of fact I'm hear now! You can find it in the Online Jaco Directory at www.ohiost.net then Jaco Directory, they also have the AmericasLink-CR pages with detailed San Jose Maps. They also have a website at www.hotedehaan.com wilson is the manager, and they can be reached by e-mail, or Skype. There site has a slide show showing the hotel taken the last couple months. If you decide to stay here just ask the bus driver to let you off at the El Colonial resturant, the hotel is half way to the beach on the right(50mts). If not the Jaco Directory has 5-6 pages of listings.
    Enjoy-Pura Vida

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines