Jackson Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

by swdke Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Will have a day to spend in Grand Teton Nationl Park and Jackson, and looking for how to spend the day. On this same day, I also want to take the Jackson Tram. I do plan to do a scenic rafting trip on the Snake River in GTNP, but that's not till the next day, and after, going on up to Yellowstone. So, on my day in Jackson and GTNP, what's a good way to spend the day, what to see, do, no miss? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

by goodfish Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Have you looked at the NPS site for Grand Teton? The NPS is usually the best resource for planning your park visits according to your interests and abilities:

nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/i...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Only one day, first thing is to cry.... Seriously, get up before daybreak, get down to Gros Ventre campground, there are often moose in the area very early. Then you are not far from Mormon Row with the iconic view of the old Moulton barn with the Tetons in the background as the sun rises. Further up towards YNP there are 2/3 turnouts which are worth each of them a couple of hours, notably Oxbow Bend, Snake river overlook, but my favourite was the dust road that takes you to Schwabacher landing. Another thing to do is take the shuttle boat across Jenny lake and then hike back (5 kms or about an hour) along and around the lakeside.

Have a look as well at Kate's link above, there really is a lot to do at GT and they know better than me.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

In the evening about 6pm if I remember correctly, there is a mock shoot out by the town square. The streets have several art studios of different western artists.

• Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

by VRTravel Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I was in Jackson just the other weekend and it was so crammed to get everything in. First of all I loved GTNP and going by Jenny Lake was so beautiful and is where I got some of my favorite pictures from. There is a ferry you can take to the other side with amazing hikes and trails that you can look up online. Driving from one end of the park to the other (at GTNP) took us over an hour in a half because the roads only had one lane and you go really slow.
    In Jackson we love going to Bubbas BBQ which is a great place to eat and they are open late, there is a shoot out (like someone else mentioned) that is only like 15 minutes but kind of fun to see. The shoot out is in the middle of Jackson and it's so fun to pop in some of the shops and see all of the arches that are made from antlers.
    Lastly, when I was there the gondolas were still going and you can ride them up and get amazing views. I'm sure there are things to do up there now as well. Hope you have a great time!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines