Italy Travel Answers

change location
doraem66's Profile Photo

Prepaid SIM card

by doraem66 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I will be travelling in Italy for about 1 month. Currently holding a 3G phone (micro SIM), would like to find out more about the SIM card selling in Italy.

Where can I apply for one?
Price for just calling?
Price for calling + data (just in case requires to use GPS navigation)?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: Prepaid SIM card

by felissiano Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I live in Croatia, not Italy, so I can't help you about prepaid SIM card.
    I'm sorry... but, if you visit Croatia..... : ))

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • QuigleyM's Profile Photo

Re: Prepaid SIM card

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I'm in Italy right now and am using my 3G phone from the US with an Italian SIM card. It was a very easy process, actually. I just went to a cell phone store (I went to TIM, though others are Wind and Vodaphone) and asked for a SIM card. It cost about €20, which included some minutes already on the card. I receive a text message at the end of every phone call to tell me how much money I still have on my card. Whenever I'm running low on minutes, I just go to a TIM store and ask them to put more money on. As far as the plan goes, they offered me many options. I'm using one that costs €1 per week but gave me the cheapest rates to call the US; it's free for me to receive calls from the US. I don't have a data plan, so I can't offer much advise there. Hope this helped!

6 members found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

yes correct above the major ones are TM and Vodafone and have offices all over.

• doraem66's Profile Photo

by doraem66 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Hi Holidayverona

Is the simcard possible for data?
    I may want to use a bit for watsapp and GPS.

I have not been to Italy before, is there much public places for free WIFI?
    Thank you.

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM

There is a lot of public wifi--in piazzas, some museums, and most cafes. You'll most likely have to register online using your phone number and then you'll get a text message with login info. I believe you can get a data plan with you SIM card, but I don't have one and am getting by just fine with the free wifi offered all around.

1 member found this helpful

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM

I thought of one more thing I didn't mention regarding the SIM card. Before you leave the country, call your cell phone company and tell them that you want to unlock your phone. They'll give you a code unique to your phone's make/model and a set of instructions of how to go about entering the phone. Once you're in Italy and have your SIM card, use that code to unlock your phone and start using the new SIM. Your cell phone company will be able to give you a better explanation, but this is a critical step that I forgot to mention!!

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Italy Travel Answer Locations