Italy Travel Answers

change location
doraem66's Profile Photo

Day trip outside Rome...

by doraem66 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I would liek to have a day trip outside Rome, any recommendation?

Which one is worth going?
Tivoli, Orvieto, Bracciano,

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Head up to Frascati for some great wine tasting or Tivoli for beautiful villas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Re: Day trip outside Rome...

by nicolaitan Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Day trip to Tivoli would include both the hadrian villa and the fountains of villa d'este - easily done by public transit or with a guided tour, beautiful.

Orivieto is also a great outing for a day - magnificent cathedral, famous for sacred art. a nice medieval hill village very easily reached by public transit.

1 member found this helpful

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM

We took a day trip (actually less then a day as we didn't arrive until 3:00 p.m.) to Tivoli and spent about 3 hours at the Villa d' Este and then walked through the town and had dinner near the train station.

Here is a link to my Tivoli page where you can see some pics.

"An Afternoon and Evening Away From Rome" - Tivoli by riorich55

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM

We tried to visit Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa in one day. In the end Villa d'Este was so enjoyable we stayed all day and had to go back two days later to visit Hadrian's Villa. We spent most of that day there too. I tend to prefer countryside to towns, but they really were the most enjoyable days for me from a week long stay in Rome.

We used the local bus out to Tivolli. The locals showed us where to get off the bus, but if you go to Villa d'Este first you'll pass the road end and bus stop for Hadrian's Villa. These days with gps on mobile phones it's probably even easier (though not necessarily more fun).

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 6:22 AM

KakapoTheParrot wrote:

We tried to visit Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa in one day. In the end Villa d'Este was so enjoyable we stayed all day and had to go back two days later to visit Hadrian's Villa. We spent most of that day there too. I tend to prefer countryside to towns, but they really were the most enjoyable days for me from a week long stay in Rome.

We used the local bus out to Tivolli. The locals showed us where to get off the bus, but if you go to Villa d'Este first you'll pass the road end and bus stop for Hadrian's Villa. These days with gps on mobile phones it's probably even easier (though not necessarily more fun).

We took the train from Rome on our trip.  The bus gets you a lot closer to Villa d'Este but you will get to walk through the old town if you do take the train.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Tivoli of the 3.
    Cheers

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

All answers are correct...and so are a lot more...can you give us a hint of what you'd might like to see? Art? Architecture? Natural beauty? History? Romans? Etruscans? Religious? Ancient? Medieval? Renaissance???

There are 1,001 sites a short distance from Rome, each with its own value...what's valuable to you?

Bill

• lee.evelyn's Profile Photo

by lee.evelyn Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Tivoli is enchanting!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

by Bunsch Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Since I am in love with Orvieto, I simply had to put in my vote for it -- of course the stunning Cathedral, but also the wonderful wooden toys, the escalators through the tufa, the funicular, the best restaurant in Italy (well, okay, I didn't get to eat EVERYWHERE else). But truly you can't go wrong with any of those choices.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Assisi was my choice and I managed to go on a day tour from Rome which took me to both Assisi and Orvieto. I can't really recommend the tour as a lot of time was wasted in a pottery factory and thus the time in Assisi was shortened quite considerably. I did return two years later but arrived in a rented car and stayed overnight. However, I digress. You can easily get to Assisi by train from Rome. Many visitors do it this way and wander the town independently.

Orvieto is less than 90 minutes from Roma Termini and is also a wonderful place to visit especially the perched village, but as Bill rightly says, there are more options than you could possible imagine but to pick the right one for you will largely depend on what you are wanting to see. If you could elaborate on that a bit more than I'm sure there are quite a few experts here who could narrow down your short list. Enjoy Italy!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

We took 2 nights in Bracciano, a fabulous town approx 60km from Rome, the castle is brilliant, the lake, and most of all the food, restaurants are very cheap.

Only 1 hour by train from Rome we actually took the train one afternoon to visit St Peters. Check out the photos on my Bracciano page

• doraem66's Profile Photo

by doraem66 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Thanks for all the suggestion.

Hi Bill, I love to see nature, castles and enjoy food:)

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

doraem66 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestion.

Hi Bill, I love to see nature, castles and enjoy food:)

Well, for that, I can recommend Castel Gandolfo. Despite the name, there isn't a castle there, just the Papal palace, where the Pope traditionally goes in late summer to avoid Rome's heat (Benedict is there right now, waiting for the new Pope to be chosen and for Benedict's retirement home to be renovated in the Vatican). Naturally, there aren't any tours of it. Sorry.

However, there is a ton of nature here. If you take the train from Roma Termini out to Castel Gandolfo, you will leave town and enter the countryside of the Castelli Romani (the Roman hilltowns). In this case, Castel Gandolfo is on the lip of an extinct volcano that is now filled with water. The slopes of the volcano - inside and out - are now the Regional Park of the Castelli Romani - a large area of trees and slopes where you can swim, hike, horseback ride, etc. Please see VT's pages with photos at Castel Gandolfo Travel Guide

Furthermore, it's a great place for lunch. There is a row of restaurants that overlook the lake, giving you a priceless panorama while chowing down on your meal. 

Note that Castel Gandolfo is a small town, pleasant enough to walk around in, but not a big metropolis. The church next to the Papal place is a Bernini church (the church? the altar? I forget), and there is the usual small collection of restuarants, bars, and tourist shops. This will be a low-key day in which you can combine lunch in Castel Gandolfo with an evening out in Rome.

Note that the train station is halfway up the slope to the town. This climb is NOT for the mobility impaired...it is very pretty, but the elevation change is somewhat strenuous. On the other hand, the swimming areas and other features are down at lake level, in the other direction. I have never been down there to swim or hike, I have just read about it in CG websites.

Does this help?

Bill

2 members found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Italy Travel Answer Locations