Italy Travel Answers

change location

Itinerary suggestions for four nights in Northern Italy?

by sonesa Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM

We are planning our honeymoon to Italy in late April / early May. So far we plan to fly into Rome and spend 3 nights, then spend 1 night in Florance before starting a 7 night bike trip throughout Tuscany. The bike trip ends in Florance and we have four nights left in our trip before we fly out of Milan. I really like the sounds of Cinque Terre and Venice but I don't think we will have time to fit both in. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to spend the last four nights of our trip?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary suggestions for four nights in Northern Italy?

by cgf Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:24 AM

From Florence is not difficoult to get to Cinque Terre, have a couple of nights in Liguria before going to Milan enjoy your trip

btw you coild go to Cinque Terre also biking ilt will be not more hilly than Tuscany

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Go to Venice........fast train from Florence, then fast train from Venice to Milan. Venice is.........amazing, So differemt to other parts of Italy, and VERY romantic. You will love it.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Well, depending on what time of day your bike trip ends in Florence, you could have 4 nights but just a little over 3 days left before flying home. And I'm not sure what time of day you'll arrive in Florence the day before your bike trip begins?

Florence is a wonderful city that deserves some time: lots to see and do there! You might consider resting up after your bike trip by doing some sightseeing in the city over a couple of days, and taking one day to explore the CT: leaving early morning and returning in the later evening.

As you're bikers, I'm guessing you have a love of outdoor activities so a day hiking around the CT villages would probably be something you'd enjoy?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM

You have several choices really:

• Staying in Florence (which itself has loads to see, more than you will see on your previous brief stay) and exploring a bit more of Tuscany using the trains and buses. Lucca, for example, is easy to get to and brilliant to bike around (bikes are for hire), and then there's Pisa, Siena, Fiesole, San Gimignano......
    • Taking the train from Florence to La Spezia (from where you can use the cheap, frequent trains to visit the CT villages...or walk to some) and either basing yourselves there or in one of the CT settlements.
    • Staying in Venice for all 3/4 nights.
    • Or, and entirely dependent on the timing of your arrival in Florence and your departure from Milan..... staying 1/2 nights in CT, then just 1/2 night in Venice before travelling to Milan. It *is* possible to fit both in as long as you are aware that you cannot visit each one in great depth..but you will be able to see a good chunk of each.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I'd spend the time in Florence and take one of the days for a train trip to Lucca. You should be ready to relax a little before returning to reality. Then you can start planning a future trip to include Venice.

Enjoy your trip.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You may be Tuscaned out after 7 days riding around, but a couple of days in Florence and then Venice would be a good way to provide for four nights. Or, do a couple of days in Venice, then a couple on Lake Como, either Lecco or Bellagio. It is easy to take the train to Lake Como from Venice, and then from Lake Como to Milan. I would not down play Milan. We found it very enjoyable. Karl

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Since you're asking for votes, I would spend another night in Florence, then go up the road to Venice and find a hotel in the islands (i.e., real Venice, not the mainland), spend each day hand-in-hand just walking slowly, and spend each evening eating and drinking just a little too much and wandering the calli (streets) late at night. It's the end of your honeymoon, and you need to remember why you're in Italy.

Note: I don't know what time of day you are flying out of Milan (Malpensa, I assume?) - you may have to go to Milan the day before and spend the night there...

Bill

• QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:27 AM

I would also spend more time getting to know Florence--it's simply amazing and beautiful, plus you'll be going at the perfect time of year when it's warm and the throngs of tourists haven't arrived yet. Venice and Cinque Terre are definitely a once-in-a-lifetime sees, but I would also consider Verona, which is just as romantic. It's a small little town with a lovely center. If you're going up to Venice, I would suggest spending a night in Verona--it will save you a little money on your hotel (http://www.prontohotel.com/ita/verona/) and it will let you see the town of Romeo & Juliet.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Italy Travel Answer Locations