Istanbul Travel Answers

change location
kitsou's Profile Photo

safe, quiet, lodging near main sites-suggestion (Istanbul)

by kitsou Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I am not a party animal,but rather a culture vulture. I will be in Istanbul for 3 days so I'd like to be within walking distance of the main sites. I need a recommendation for a B&B style accomodation at a reasonable price (max.25)

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: safe, quiet, lodging near main sites-suggestion (Istanbul)

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Hi I always like checking out what the guidebooks such as Lonely Planet, Footprints or the RoughGuide have suggested in particular - but also here in vters travel pages are accommodation tips - so check out whats been recommended or suggested - there are vters who live in Istanbul or Turkey and write good info and there are quite a number of vter visitors who have good info to offer which is what makes VT such a helpful place to come to - so its not only the forums

Have a great time in Istanbul Im still trying to get back myself to see some more!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Accommodation for25 is going to be a challenge in Istanbul, I think. I would imagine that you would be looking more at hostels than B&Bs, which are not a common thing in Turkey.

If by "the main sites" you mean the things a first-time tourist would generally visit, then you want to be in the Sultanahmet neighborhood. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of accommodations in that part of town. You should focus your search there.

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

by Jetgirly Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I don't think it will be possible to find a B&B for25 (US?) near the sights in Istanbul. On booking.com I was able to find some single rooms with shared bathrooms for about40 US, mostly in hostel-style buildings. Prices were similar on hostels.com. I saw a couple of people on airbnb.com who were renting out rooms in their apartment for about the same price (sometimes about five dollars lower)- mostly around Taksim.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM

The Metropolis is a backpacker place with privates that are roughly within your budget.
    Simple but ok rooms.
    Link to my review of the place here:

"Very nice hostel with good private rooms." - Metropolis Hostel Tip by cachaseiro

1 member found this helpful

• canata's Profile Photo

by canata Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Last month in Istanbul I stayed in Sultan Hostel in Sultanhamet.
    female dorm (4) with breakfast was 25 TL which is about 15 US. Walking distance to everywhere and easy to go from airport by metro/tram.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Thats brilliant..have you put that info into a vt tip in your travel pages?!

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 6:31 AM

If that's 25EUR, a little tough to find a B&B, hostel yes a lot. I'm a sucker for budget accommodation and here're the ok private rooms with showers/toilet and shared ones I've stayed at in Istanbul:

EUR27 Gulhane Corner Hotel: "Great corner hotel with small but nice room." - Istanbul Ili Hotel Tip by June.b EUR25-30 Little House Hotel: "Little House, Big Treat." - Istanbul Ili Hotel Tip by June.b EUR19 Yeni Hostel: "A budget gem." - Istanbul Ili Hotel Tip by June.b

or as suggested above, try Airbnb.com for room rentals at the host's own apartment with shared bath/toilet.

Enjoy.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I think you should stay in the Sultanahmet district, walking distance to many of the main historic attractions. There is also an excellent tram service , very cheap, quick. There is also a train service, we used both when we visited Sept 2010. We stayed at the Sebnem, very nice , 14 rooms, but outside your budget., but plenty of guesthouses around, but I doubt at the price you mention. You are welcome to view my page. Good Luck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines