Istanbul Travel Answers

change location
goga4444's Profile Photo

Exploring Istanbul...

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 3:50 PM

OK , here is the thing ... I m gonna be in Istanbul for few days in February, with afternoons off , and I was wondering , what are your tips and advices what to do , where to go ....etc. Thanks Goga

Quote & Answer
27 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Exploring Istanbul...

by globetrott Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:01 PM

TopKapi-museum and especially the HAREM are a must !!! and Aya Sofia and the big mosques of course and do not forget the "Egyptian Bazar" - they sell spices there, its near the Galata-bridge and looks a bit like a mosque. Take the ferry to the Asian border of the Bosporus - these ferries run all day every few minutes and you will see a completely other kind of Istanbul. Take a cruise through the Bosporus - its offered as a fullday-tour. And IF you are in danger to buy a carpet as a souvenir... ...check out the prices in YOUR country, so you will have an idea, if a "bargain" is a bargain at all.... good luck ! Michael

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Bregman's Profile Photo

by Bregman Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:03 PM

There are plenty of places to go in Istanbul: Topkapi palace, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, covered bazaar, spice market, Suleymania mosque, saray cistern, Divan Yolu, Mosaic museum, Galata tower, Taxim square (Istiklal road and nearby market), Dolmabahche palace, Ortakoy, Ayup mosque, the Bosphoros, Princes Islands. All these are just from the top of my head, I must have forgotten dozens of other places. In any case, just wander around the Sultan Ahmet and surrounding areas. Also, you should take a ferry along the Bosphoros. Be careful to take the one used by the locals which is much cheaper than the tourist ones. The ferries zig-zag between the European and Asian parts of the city.

• goga4444's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Exploring Istanbul...

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:06 PM

Thanks gus , I cant wait to go :)))

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:10 PM

And I wont be buying any carpets , thanks Michael :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:22 PM

Goga, lets talk about the carpets AFTER your return. ;-)) And do not hesitate to take at least the nice tea that is offered freely - and also in a very nice way - by the carpet-shops... And they have also great leather-costumes, fur-coats etc for ladies... ;-)) A: And I wont be buying any carpets , thanks Michael :)

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:47 PM

Ha ha ha OK , but still no carpets for me LOL ( I dont like carpets ) Leather , hmm well we will see :) I ll give full report on my shoping when I come back LOL

• dgeorge10's Profile Photo

by dgeorge10 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 4:54 PM

Lucky you! There are already some great suggestions here. I can definitely agree with wandering around Sultan Ahmet for a couple of Afternoons... Topkapi will take at least 4 hours, and Aya Sophia, Blue Mosque, Little Aya Sofia, the cisterns (there are more than 1) and perhaps a Turkish bath (if you are interested) will take up another afternoon. If you want to go shopping for souveniers, the Grand Bazaar is the place to go... but bargain, bargain, bargain! The best place to see mosaics in Istanbul is the Church of the Holy Savior of Chora. Stunning! The boat ride on the Bosphorus is a must! Of course it's a lot nicer in warmer weather, but being on the water really makes you understand the charms of Istanbul no matter what time of the year. There is a full day tour that criss-crosses the Bosphorus and stops for lunch near an old, ruined Byzantine castle. The views are spectacular from there. Dolmabace palace is worth it, just to see the great hall. For evenings, I recommend a walk through Ortakoy. The mosque there is my favorite in Istanbul. You can also visit out the restaurants nightlife near Taksim, have drinks under the Galata Bridge, watch the sunset from the Galata Tower, smoke water pipe at Tophane (or American Bazaar). If you have time, check out Bagdat Street on the Asian side... it's Istanbul's version of the Champs Elysee. I can give you restaurant and nightclub recommendations if you'd like.... just e-mail me. You're going to have a great time!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 5:06 PM

Enjoy but remember that Istanbul in February is going to be COLD.... Topkapi and the various mosques suggested are a must. The Bospherous trip will freeze your butt off: as long as you are wrapped up for it, its great. Try out Rumeli Hisari, which is on the Bospherous but not on the ferry run - fantatastic Crusader fortress, and the Chora Museum is stunningly beautiful. Uskadar on the Asian side is a different experience. But also go find a snug Turkish restaurant and spend those cold afternoons enjoying some of the best food around. Enjoy Keith

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 5:12 PM

Thank you so much for info and nice wishes :) I ll try to keep my butt warm LOL And how cold are we talking about ...O C , below 0 C ...much below 0 C ....

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 5:19 PM

OK - so now I see you are from Yugoslavia, so maybe you're used to February and the cold -:) It can snow in Istanbul at this time, but what can be worse is the wind chill factor. You've got the Sea of Marmora, the Bospherous and to the north, the Black Sea - winds that can cut through you like a knife. But as long as you are wrapped up....-:) My view is to enjoy the outdoors but to ensure there are indoor activities on your itineray -:) Be well

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 5:23 PM

Yeah I m used to cold LOL but the wind is worst .... we had - 15 C lately , but no wind , so it wasnt so horrible :) Thanks again, I ll make sure to dress warm.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 5:28 PM

But its still a stunningly beautiful city - I first went there one November - grey grey grey (and sooo cold). But it didn't detract. And the Turkish people are, generally, so welcoming... Enjoy

• Vlatko_mk's Profile Photo

by Vlatko_mk Online Now Jan 27, 2003 at 6:20 PM

Idi u Kapli carsija, i se malo cenkaj :) to je najinteresantnija stvar u Turskoj.

• viajeromaga's Profile Photo

by viajeromaga Online Now Jan 28, 2003 at 8:59 AM

YOU MUST, MUST GO TO THE THE SUNSET FROM THE TOWER OF GALATA. YOU CAN NOT MISS IT FOR THE WORLD. THE MOST SPECTACULAR SUNSET EVER SEEN.

• MITNIC's Profile Photo

by MITNIC Online Now Jan 28, 2003 at 11:53 PM

I am sure that you will have a grate time there! You will love that city, as all of us! Have a nice trip. Nikolas.

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo

by Yiannis2000 Online Now Jan 29, 2003 at 12:00 AM

It can really be cold and windy in february (I was there exactly 10 yrs ago), but I'm sure u'll be luckier than that! For evenings Ortakoy, Taksim for the late hours, are great! I'll give some recommemndations about churches later, after work... Lucky Goga...

• 80-bettyboo's Profile Photo

by 80-bettyboo Online Now Jan 29, 2003 at 12:26 AM

No worries , it is sunny today and really warm but it is not gonna get cold that much in february , Istanbul is really cold in March , the weather changes everyday..you will be fine :)

by goga4444 Online Now Jan 29, 2003 at 9:06 AM

Thanks all of you :))) I cant wait to go after all those nice things you wrote me . I m leaving in 10 days .... Goga

• MITNIC's Profile Photo

by MITNIC Online Now Feb 6, 2003 at 12:40 PM

Halo Belgrade! Time is coming, are you ready my VT friend? Istanbul is waiting! Be Payson there that city have a lot to give to you! Let it do it… I wish you the best at this experience, Nikolas.

by goga4444 Online Now Feb 6, 2003 at 1:45 PM

He he I cant wait my friend ... All best for you too Goga

• evliyasems's Profile Photo

by evliyasems Online Now Feb 18, 2003 at 2:35 AM

welcome to istanbul. Explore it by yourself.:) It is exiciting See ya

by goga4444 Online Now Mar 3, 2003 at 6:45 AM

Thanks all of you ... Your tips and advices made my travel mich better Goga

by goga4444 Online Now Mar 3, 2003 at 6:46 AM

Well much better LOL ...

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now Mar 3, 2003 at 10:16 AM

I take it you've been and seen. Sounds like you had a great time - yes? Hope so - its agreat city. Be well keith

• youcan-visitme's Profile Photo

Exploring Istanbul...

by youcan-visitme Online Now Mar 22, 2003 at 2:33 AM

I hope you had a good time in istanbul I wish to meet you If you ever come to istanbul please welcome to see me...I work for turizm business I could succest you where to go how to get there..Thank you

by goga4444 Online Now Mar 22, 2003 at 2:51 AM

Thanks , I did have great time ,it was little bit cold . But Istanbul is great place:) Take care Goga

• bakanay's Profile Photo

by bakanay Online Now May 10, 2003 at 7:03 AM

at asian part, ý advice y to go Moda and have a walk at sea side and drink a tea.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines