Istanbul Travel Answers

change location

Cruising to Istanbul

by maroongirl18 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

We are going on a cruise and Istanbul is one of our port of call, where do the ships dock and how far away is it from top tourist attractions (Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque etc). Is it walkable? I heard you can use the tram too, is that close to the port where the ships dock?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Cruising to Istanbul

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It's been some years but I embarked from Itanbul on a cruise with WindStar. Due to their size they can port in quite close but even so, it's quite a ways to all the sights. We took a taxi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Hi - cruisecritic.com is an excellent source of information for everything about your cruise including the ports!

Here is a very interesting link about exploring Istanbul on your own to help you out:
    boards.cruisecritic.com/show...

If you'd like further information about the sights and getting around take a look at my Istanbul page - "Bustling, Cosmopolitan Istanbul!" - Istanbul by Donna_in_India. It's a fantastic city!! Have a wonderful cruise.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM

No, its not far from the attractions. I would suggest catching the Tram to save yourself some time, plus it stops by the Hagia Sophia. On the same side as your Ship docks, is the beautiful Dolmabahce Palace, you would catch the tram in the opposite direction to see this and get off at the end of the line. A short walk and you are there. Also on the same side is the Galata Tower, for excellent views of Istanbul.
    This is my page on Istanbul
    "ISTANBUL - HUNDREDS OF TOURISTS!" - Istanbul by balhannah

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM

You'll be docking right the the bosphorous shore of Karakoy - bosphorous and the galta bridge nearby are in itself an attractions already.

Sultanahmet - the historical peninsula - where most tourist sights are is more than half an hour walk and some are a bit steep esp. the area from Sirkeci to Gulhane to Sultanahmet.

Luckily you - the Karakoy tramway station is only 350m or 4-minute walk from the cruise port. Take the tram (TL2 per person) from Karakoy station to Sultanahmet - 4th station stop.

If you plan to walk then you'll be walking along the famous Galata Bridge with a nice view of the bosphourus, the galata tower from a good distance, the Suleymaniye and Yeni Mosques and all the happenings around Eminonu port. That is, if you have time to spare.

Here's the distance of the cruise port to Sultanahmet: http://goo.gl/maps/JACVu

• leelee153's Profile Photo

by leelee153 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Its nice to walk it if you can - the best way to see Istanbul. There is plenty to take in and photograph along the way. The Galata Bridge, Galata fish restaurants and fish sandwich boats, Simit sellers, Spice Bazaar, the old Orient Express (Sirceki) train station, Gulhane Park, Topkapi Palace, Archaeological Museum..... Maybe walk there and tram back or vice versa. Its one of my favourite walks.

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

by Sirvictor Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The ship docks at Karakoy (Read Karakoei) After stepping on soil your face towards the maritime buildings your right is Dolmabahce Palace, your left is The famous Galata Bridge. After exiting to the street turn left go towaards yor nose till you reach to Galata Bridge it is 5 minutes walk. On the bride just stand and look around. On your right you will see the huge Tower build by Genovesem in 13rd Centuary. on your left you will see the huge Yeni Cami the New Mosque. Walk through the bridge. Take a good look. It is exiting. At the end of brige is the yeni cami. follow the tram line you will reavh to Sultanahmet. This route is very exiting. manythousand years the byzantine and Ottoman armies marched on this road. On the wayyou will bay the Great park called Gulhane.Just opposite of it the great portal of Grand Vezier will wellcome you. This is called Supreme Porte. The Whire House of antcient world. The route is apprx. 40 minutes but it will take more. You may returm by tram.

1 member found this helpful

• seblak's Profile Photo

by seblak Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:33 AM

As said already, it is about 40 mn to old city center: High Sophia, topkapi palace.
    But on the way you will have a great sight seeing. galata bridge, eminonu mosque and surrounding, spice market etc. I wouldnt take the tram if you are not short in time.

• stream&rain's Profile Photo

by stream&rain Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM

whenever you are out of port u ll see so many postcard sellers, be aware of them and get on tram directly to Sultanahmet area . When it s time back you can walk back if you wish at tram direction. Have a nice time in Istanbul

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM

There is a ton of stuff to see in Istanbul. Save time and take the tram or a cab to Sultanahmet, where you can spend the day seeing Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Basilica Cistern and the Topkapi Palace. If you like museums, the Archaeological Museum (next to Topkapi Palace) is excellent.

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

by Sirvictor Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Just by the side of Aya Sofya on the tram line and the Yerebatan Sarayi the cistern there is a stone which indicates that the point is the middle of the World. There is a funny story about that stone: One day some one asked Nasreddin Hoca the famous Turkish joker and philosopher "My Hodja tell me where is the middle of the world?"
    Hoca laughed and pointed left-back leg of his donkey and said "The middle of the world is just the place where my donkey stands.":))

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

by traveloturc Online Now Apr 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM

You can walk to the tram station in KARAKOY and jump out in SULTANAHMET ....easy )))

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines