Istanbul Travel Answers

change location
montanabob's Profile Photo

Guides, Asian side and intercity transportation cards

by montanabob Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My wife and I will be in Istanbul the beginning of May, 3 days prior to taking an organized tour. Ee have been there for 4 days a few years ago and saw the most of the main attraction. This time we would like to see some of the asian side via ferry and other more out of the way places. Any ideas on destination on the Asian side and suggestions of things to see. We are also open to a local guide for a day.

Also I read that there is a card you can buy then pay some amount for future fares on city transportation. This sounds convenent and possibly save money. If this is true whnere can these be purchased.
Montana Bob

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • leelee153's Profile Photo

Re: Guides, Asian side and intercity transportation cards

by leelee153 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Hello. What you're after is the istanbulkart. Google for more info. Also check out mylocalguideistanbul.com for walking tours and visit to Asian side. Ask about the Europe to Asia progressive dinner not on the website yet. I'm no expert on Asian side but Moda, uskudar with trip to Maiden's Tower are lovely ways to pass time.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Hi Bob,
    Istanbulkart is very useful for transportation. On Asian side, you can visit Beylerbeyi Palace, Kiz Kulesi, Bagdat Caddesi, Bostancı - Caddebostan beach road, Kadiköy, Prince Islands. You can check all these attractions on my page. Do not miss some of the restaurants I suggest on asian side such as Ciya restaurant. Check out my link below for all the useful info. If you have more questions, I will gladly reply.
    "A neverending poem" - Istanbul Ili by muratkorman
    "My Beloved Istanbul" - Istanbul by muratkorman

2 members found this helpful

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I second the recommendation for Ciya Sofrasi restaurant! (There is also a Ciya kebab place across the street, but I haven't eaten there.) There are a lot of good places to eat right in that neighborhood, too, including a lot of spots where you can eat at tables outside. It's very lively in the evenings and a lot of fun.

Murat, I will have to check out your pages before my next visit to your city!

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I recommend the Princess Islands, I thoroughly enjoyed one full day. Another place tourists miss, is Yildiz Palace and gardens. I saw this Palace, but there are more to see, I just ran out of time.
    I will give you my link for 'off the beaten track" places in Istanbul I visited. There are photo's and tips on the Princes Island and on Yildiz palace and other places to give you some idea if it's what you fancy. Have a good time in Istanbul!
    Istanbul Off The Beaten Path Tips by balhannah

• montanabob's Profile Photo

by montanabob Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Wish we were going sooner than May

Be the first to rate this answer!

• seblak's Profile Photo

by seblak Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM

If you have a whole day to spend in bosphorus you can take a boat trip. But a regular istanbul boat. From besiktas until anadolu kavagi (end stop at boshorus on asian side at the entrance of black sea) . You can get off at beylerbeyi ( see palace), kanlica (eat famous yogurt with powder sugar) anadolu kavagi (where you can have fish.)

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM

montanabob wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses. Wish we were going sooner than May

May is perfect for visiting Istanbul. You will enjoy Istanbul at its best. You won't need a local guide for the attractions we listed previously. In some cases, you just need to get some directions from your hotel. To reach Kadiköy and Üsküdar will be very easy from Eminönü or Besiktas. Let me know if you need any extra info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines