Istanbul Travel Answers

change location
pc6609's Profile Photo

Visa entry for Canadian tourist

by pc6609 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Hi,

I am planning to visit Turkey in September and would like to know if we need to purchase the visa in advance or if we can purchase it at our point of entry? Any help will be appreciated on this.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Visa entry for Canadian tourist

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Just buy it at your point of entry. You can get it at pretty much any border crossing or international airport. It costs USD$60 (the Turkish government apparently hates the Canadian government). It takes seconds to do.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

The website of the Turkish Embassy in Canada has this information:

ottava.be.mfa.gov.tr/ShowInf...">ottava.be.mfa.gov.tr/ShowInf...

Please click on the second part of the link, to the right of >

This page states that visa on entry for Canadian citizens costs 60USD or 45 euro (cash payment).

It was last updated in August 2012, so hopefully Canadians who have visited Turkey more recently will be able to advise.

In my experience, queuing up for visas on arrival can take some time (depending on how many planes have arrived) but the process is easy enough. Just make sure that your USD or euro notes are in good condition.

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I ( a Canadian) have indeed been to Turkey recently. It's been US$60 for years. Of the dozen or so times i've entered the country (by land or air) i've never waited more than a couple minutes to get the visa.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Visa entry, we are Australian and just paid $20 at the airport prior to passing through customs. I would think Canadians would be much the same.

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Canadians are $60. Have been for years. There are a number of diplomatic reasons for it. One of which is our government officially recognizes the Armenian genocide.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Visa on arrival is the best solution. If you will arrive in Istanbul, you may wait a bit if it's a busy time in Atatürk airport. Nevertheless, it is easy to get the visa as long as you have the necessary cash with you. You can pay in USD or EUR.

• Atila_Yumusakkaya's Profile Photo

by Atila_Yumusakkaya Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Visa applications vary depending on nationality. Most probably Canadian government charges the same amount from Turkish citizens not to mention huge bureaucracy they require. Have a good time in Turkey.

• canata's Profile Photo

by canata Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

How ridiculous to claim that Turkey charges Canadians visa money because of Canada's support towards Armenians. I am a Canadian citizen without Turkish roots or connections and have just spent several months in Turkey. Please stop such nonsense!

At Ataturk Airport, everyone cues in the same line to buy a visa. Not that long, the line moves very fast.. Those for EU are 20e or 25US and for Cdn passport holders it was US40$ just last month Febr 2013)

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines