Israel Travel Answers

change location

Natural wonders and excursions in Israel

by Californiateacher Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Good Afternoon everyone,

I would appreciate some sound advice about visiting natural wonders in Israel. I'll be visiting in late May thru June, and I'll see the usual cities like Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Akko, and others. But what I would also like to do is explore and hike areas of Israel. What areas of Israel have the best hiking and can be reached by public transportation? Also are there any tour companies that offer 1 or 2 day excursions into the desert for a fee that won't break the bank? I did a 3 day excursion in Jordan, staying with a Bedouin tribe, it was amazing sleeping an hiking in the desert away from everything! So something along those lines. Thanks for any and all responses.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • johnfromoz's Profile Photo

Re: Natural wonders and excursions in Israel

by johnfromoz Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

The dead sea region is a must see & Masada is amazing visually & historically

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Natural wonders and excursions in Israel

by humi Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

by Martin_S. Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:55 AM

First of all, Shalom and welcome to Israel ^O^

This is the main bus service called Egged
    http://www.egged.co.il/
    you will find it in English and all the connections all over Israel are listed along with times and costs.

This is the National Parks Authority page
    parks.org.il/Pages/default.a...
    here you will find all the National Parks in Israel.

If you enjoy hiking you could also purchase a 1:50,000 topographical map of certain areas of Israel and then hike some of the marked trails. If you need help with this you can write again since I have been hiking them for more than 40 years and know most of them.

Sorry that I cannot help you with tour companies, have never done a tour and do not know of any.
    Martin

• Re: Natural wonders and excursions in Israel

by Allegraf Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:25 AM

One of the most spectacular hikes in the region is the Wadi Qelt hike in Palestine, near Jericho. You walk above or along the Wadi, with a stop at the famous St George monastery. You'll need to take your passport with you.

• iblatt's Profile Photo

by iblatt Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Hello California Teacher!

Israel is great for hiking, and you can quite easily hike on your own, you don't really need a tour for that. Having said that, the SPNI (Society for the protection of nature in Israel) is a non-profit organization which marks the hiking trails in Israel and organizes excellent guided hikes: teva.org.il/english/israelna...

A few other tips and ideas:

- The IsraelNational Trail is a combined trail which connects many interesting hikes throughout Israel, read my tip: ""The Israel Trail" ("Shvil Yisrael")" - Israel Off The Beaten Path Tip by iblatt

- Ein Gedi on the Dead Sea is a good starting point to hikes in that area.

- Mitzpe Ramon is a good starting point for hikes in the Ramon Crater region of the Negev Desert.

- The Jerusalem Mountains, Mount Carmel, and the mountains of the Upper Galilee are great for hikes.

- Wadi Dragot near the Dead Sea is a challenging and fun hike.

you can contact me on VT and I'll be happy to give you more focused advice when you plan your itinerary.

Ilan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Israel Travel Answer Locations