Isola Stromboli Travel Answers

change location

Low season accomodations (mid-Nov)?

by coral04 Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 8:37 AM

Hi, I am traveling to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands this mid-November and have been having trouble finding accomodations on Stromboli. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • sierralyndon's Profile Photo

Re: Low season accomodations (mid-Nov)?

by sierralyndon Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 10:41 AM

I hate to be a party-pooper but you might also want to check out how you're getting to the Aeolian Islands. The reason many hotels are closed is due to the season... as winter approaches, the seas get rough, and ferry services are also severely reduced.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Low season accomodations (mid-Nov)?

by coral04 Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 2:22 PM

Hi SierraLyndon, Thanks for warning me! I have been having a sinking feeling about this part of our trip - noticed that some hydrofoils may not be running, but found a timetable for N.G.I. that seems to have daily service up to Lipari but only reaches Stromboli 2x a week between Oct-Dec...do you think that these timetables are pretty suspect (i.e., even though scheduled, will likely not run)? Our new (as of this morning!) plan, should the islands just not work out, is to spend our week exploring Sicily - which I think is as exciting, but just started thinking about a possible itinerary. Any recommendations? =) We'll be travelling by rail and by bus (no car) and would love a mix of hiking, lazing about, and of course, beautiful scenery and delicious food! Thanks!

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Low season accomodations (mid-Nov)?

by sierralyndon Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 3:52 PM

Yes, the ferry companies have the right to cancel their runs even a few hours before the scheduled trips depending on weather conditions. That's just the way it is. I'd strongly advise a Plan B... about sticking just on Sicily. You don't want your holiday to hinge on something so risky (of course now having said that, the weather in mid-November will now be the most sunny on record!!). I don't know Sicily well, so you'd best go through all VT members pages on Sicily to get some ideas. I was there in August but on the western coast covering Cefal├╣ to Palermo to Trapani and down to Agrigento. We travelled by car and found it the most convenient thing to do. Good luck!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Low season accomodations (mid-Nov)?

by Sjalen Online Now Nov 8, 2004 at 7:13 AM

Don't worry about the rest of Sicily! There are plenty of buses: www.interbus.it Since the tourist season is over, even Taormina will be quiet but there's always something there and it IS gorgeous. Otherwise, cities are a sure bet for life. Try Siracusa with its harbour front bars on Ortygia. Agrigento is also lovely and the southern coast will be the warmest this time of year as it is closest to Africa.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Isola Stromboli