Isle of Skye

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• how to reach isle of skye from edinburgh-waverly station

by nkhemka Online Now Jul 1, 2014 at 3:34 AM

hi, i will be travelling to scotland in the month of july and have already booked the hotel . we are family of 7, we want to visit isle of skye.since the booking of the hotel has already been done so the visit will be a day tour. can u please suggest the best way to reach the place

6 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 3:15 AM
    • joecairo's Profile Photo

kyle of Lochalsh to Portree after 8:30pm

by joecairo Online Now May 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I'll be arriving to Kyle of Lochalsh at 8:30pm needing to then travel to Portree. I'm train-ing, bus-ing, and last resort taxi-ing it around Scotland. Wanted to know if anyone knows my options and for what cost?! Thanks for the help in advance... - Joe

2 Answers May 17, 2014 at 12:56 AM
    • 3 nights in Skye VS 2 nights in Skye + 1 night in Inverness

by chsricha Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My husband and I are arriving into Edinburgh on July 8th. We spend 2 nights there - and then rent a car and the plan is to drive to Skye on the 10th. We have 3 nights booked in Skye at the Rowan Cottage Tree House. We then have a flight out from Inverness to London on the 13th at 2PM.

My question is do you think we should do 3 nights in Skye or should we spend the last night in Inverness since we have a flight out from there on the 13th afternoon.

Also any suggestions on good routes from Edinburgh to Skye and any recommendations for what distilleries to visit perhaps on the way to Skye? My husband really enjoys Scotch where as I can be the designated driver.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

1 Answer Apr 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    • Isle of Skye

by highercliff Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 AM

What is the most beautiful remote area of the isle of skye. we want amazing sea views with the possibility of seeing whales, dolphins,seals otters etc.

2 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    • Geetika30's Profile Photo

Isle of skye for 2 days

by Geetika30 Online Now Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Is it better to hire a Isle of skye tour or one can roam around the whole area with public transport?

10 Answers Apr 24, 2014 at 11:54 PM
    • 8 days in Scotland

by Tbrumley Online Now Mar 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I am planning my family's first trip to Scotland. We will be there for 8 days. I am wondering if I should include the Isle of Skye? My children are 12 and 9 (my son turns 10 while we are there). So far I am planning 2 days in Edinburgh, 2 days for Perth and the surrounding areas, 2 days in Inverness and the surrounding areas and I was just wondering where best to spend the other 2 days. Thanks

10 Answers Apr 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    • Is it worth it?

by rj0521 Online Now Mar 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM

This will be my first trip to Scotland. I want to experience "authentic" Scotland, not a tourist trap. Is Isle of Skye the right place to go? How long should I spend there? Should I stay there, or just a day visit?

6 Answers Mar 4, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    • Harris chess sets

by Amandaduckie Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Where can I buy a Harris Chess set in Portree

5 Answers Jan 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    • Buses from Kyle of Lochalsh

by ametravel Online Now Oct 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I cannot find an up to date timetable that tells me whether I can get a bus from Kyle of Lochalsh to the Isle of Skye around 20th December and whether it runs regularly or only on some days at certain times? Can anyone point me in the right direction or know what the buses are like?

3 Answers Oct 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    • phone signal

by jackc2010 Online Now Aug 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Can you get a phone signal ( vodafone) at the old man of storr

9 Answers Aug 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM
    • phone signal

by jackc2010 Online Now Aug 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Do you know if you get a phone signal ( vodaphone) at The old man of storr

1 Answer Aug 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    • Easiest route from Edinburgh to Portee on Skye

by MtTremper Online Now Jul 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM

What is the easiest, most highways and widest roads, to get from Edinburgh to Portree

6 Answers Jul 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    • isle of skye sights

by Smitty54 Online Now Jul 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM

With only a couple days to spend on the Isle of Sky I would like to try and get the most bang for my buck so to speak. Plans are to be there in July of 2014. Will be traveling by car. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

4 Answers Jul 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    • Travel route

by Christianzs Online Now Jun 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to travel from Isle of Skye to London? I don't have a car...Thanks!

4 Answers Jun 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    • artbeats's Profile Photo

Tips on driving and timing...

by artbeats Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Driving from Edinburgh to Uig. Leaving around 11am on Monday. Any tips on which route to take? Ferry to Lochmaddy at 6pm so how long will it take to drive approximately? Still got to hire a car, from Edinburgh...

4 Answers Apr 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    • artbeats's Profile Photo

Tips on driving and timing...

by artbeats Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Driving from Edinburgh to Uig. Leaving around 11am on Monday. Any tips on which route to take? Ferry to Lochmaddy at 6pm so how long will it take to drive approximately? Still got to hire a car, from Edinburgh...

4 Answers Jun 11, 2014 at 3:38 AM
    • 4 days in the northwest highlands, how long to spend in the isle of skye?

by bobalongwhale Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

We are going to Fort William at the end of May. From there we plan to rent a car and want to see all the amazing views of the area. The Isle of Skye is high on our list but not sure how long to spend there and how to balance the rest of our stay. Is it worth driving all the way up to Durness and continue along the coast to the east and down south or is it best to stick to Skye? Any tips welcome

3 Answers Mar 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    • Whales

by johnt101 Online Now Jan 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Hi
      I'm planning a visit the last week of March. I'm told this is a good place to view Whales and other marine life, as well as stunning scenery.
      Where on the Isle is the best place to see these things.

Thanks

5 Answers Jan 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    • SalocinC's Profile Photo

Skye

by SalocinC Online Now Jun 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hi

Where are we able to watch english premier league football when we come in december? we are staying at skeabost bridge

3 Answers Jun 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    • SalocinC's Profile Photo

Pubs

by SalocinC Online Now Jun 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Hi we are going to be staying near Skeboast bridge, and wondered if there are any local pubs that show english football??

• Activities for Young Children

by CMH1966 Online Now May 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM

My family (including 2 girls - 3 & 6 years old) are planning a weeks holiday on Isle of Skye in Aug. Other than amazing walking, what else is there to do on the Island for adults with young children, and also directly for young children?

In addition, where is the best place / village to base ourselves for a week in order to see the best of the Island? We will be self catering.

Any help / advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris Harding

4 Answers May 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    • viequense's Profile Photo

Skye in June

by viequense Online Now Apr 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Hi, most of the posts I found were old so I thought I would try a new post.

I and my daughter (19 years) will be traveling to Skye in June. We will not have a car and will rely on public transport. We want to do the train from Fort William to Mallaig and see a ferry from there to Armadale. Just wondering how in the world I would get around from there to Portree or somewhere with more options. Or maybe its better to do the train to Mallaig and a bus onward? We will have 3-5 days to spend, any ideas, recommendations would be great! We are also hoping to do hostels/couchsurfing most of the time but if a hotel/BB is really worth it we can splurge a little now and then.

Thanks for your help!

4 Answers Apr 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM
    • Skye in December

by JoanieDS Online Now Sep 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM

I realise that our funny UK weather varies from year to year, but, we are hoping to spend Christmas on Skye and wondered whether travel (we shall be coming either by car from the south of England or by air to Glasgow then car) to Skye is difficult or even impossible as a rule in December.

2 Answers Sep 13, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    • WHERE TO STAY AND EAT

by Michdon Online Now Sep 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM

What are some good places to stay and eat either on or near The isle of Skye?Also,what are some good short walks,for a 70 and 72 year old, in the area?

4 Answers Feb 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    • Travelling to Isle of Skye with children

by LinsF Online Now Jul 21, 2011 at 7:49 AM

We have a 3 year old and one under a year. Would it still be okay to try to do the Isle of Skye - are there enough areas we could get to/walk about (we can use carriers for both children if need be).

We will be travelling there in early october and will have a rental car.

Also, is it fine to just drive from Inverness to the Isle of Skye? Would that be about 4 hoursish?

Thanks!

6 Answers Jul 24, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    • accommodation

by celtic10 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Hello

Can anyone recommend good cheap accommodation for one night hostel or B & B, we have a car so able to get anywhere Isle of Skye or close by

Cheers

3 Answers Jul 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    • Isle of Skye September 2012

by USCathy Online Now May 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I'm a writer looking for a small room with a beautiful sea view for two weeks beginning 22 September. My birthday is September 26th and I want to spend it on the Isle of Skye. Any suggestions as to where a single, mature woman could safely and inexpensively stay?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

PS: The only reason I'm waiting so long is so I can save up for the airfare from the US.

4 Answers Sep 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    • Ayrshire to Isle of Skye

by aar0nn Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Am travelling with my family by car from ayrshire to Isle of Skye. Does anyone know if we can get a car ferry crossing or will we need to drive the whole way?
      Thanks in advance.

2 Answers Apr 20, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    • Visiting by yacht

by jasbee Online Now Aug 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Hi
      I am in New Zealand but hope in the not too distant future to visit Skye on my yacht which we will sail from here. Can you please tell me what facilities there may be for visiting yachts and where they are - e.g. marinas. We are particularly interested in visiting our ancestral home at Armadale. Thank you
      Jim Donald

2 Answers Sep 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    • LOCAL CUSTOMS

by Mandy61 Online Now Apr 8, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Hi, I would appreciate knowing if it's acceptable for a single woman to go into a pub on her own. I am travelling to Skye on my own and don't want to offend any of the local people.

Many Thanks,

Mandy.

7 Answers Apr 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM