Isle of Man Travel Answers

change location

Restaurants and Pubs

by LadyAmy Online Now Aug 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I just wanted to find out - why does some of the place in Isle of Man not serve food from 14:00 - 18:00 during the day in pubs and restaurants?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants and Pubs

by ranger49 Online Now Aug 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I think the hours during which meals are served in public houses is usuually determined by the owner/manager.
    Kitchen, cooking, waiting and bar staff are entitled to some time off in the afternoon before going back on duty for the evening "shift" and local custom may be to have regular fixed meal times.
    One of my family lives in Peel and has never mentioned this as a problem.
    You could ask the landlord next time you are there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Online Now Aug 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Between 14:00 and 18:00 would be considered 'slow' time - when business is weak. By not serving food during these times, it allows the owner/manager to control costs by not employing wait staff and kitchen staff during those hours. This, in turn, means that working mums can cover the lunch shift and the evening shift can be covered by students. Generally speaking, it will be a cost-saving initiative.

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Aug 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM

It is hardly only in the Isle of Man! Where I live also, which is not in the UK, restaurants don't serve food outside of lunchtime (12:00-14:00) and dinner time (19:00 till around 22:00 or 23:00), the kitchen being closed in between. So where I live also, "proper" restaurants don't serve food between 14:00 or 15:00 and 19:00, and they only have one set of kitchen staff to cover both mealtimes.
    In cities like the one where I live, there are always "brasseries" or cafés/fast-food joints that serve snacks and meals throughout the day, and cater for people who can't eat at regular times (regular for the location in question, of course). But in small villages it is quite common not to be able to get a meal in between standard meal times, or to only be able to get certain types of meal at specific times (for instance, again where I live, it's not uncommon for cafés to offer pancakes and waffles only from 15:00 till, say, 17:00. It's also a matter of what the local market wants/will support: most people want lunch at lunchtime and dinner at dinner time and are working in between. A restaurant in the Isle of Man probably wouldn't get many customers for full meals in between those times, so why would it keep the kitchen open to offfer them in case a foreigner were to happen by?
    A more interesting question might be "why do you expect to be able to get a meal between 14:00 and 18:00?". Often people don't realise that they have a particular culture, whether with respect to food or anything else, until their expectations are confounded by the customs they encounter in a foreign country! That's part of the interest of travelling, to learn what other people do and to help define your own culture, which up until then you might have assumed was the norm for everyone.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines