Isle of Man Travel Answers

change location
RunnerDave's Profile Photo

Exploring Ramsey

by RunnerDave Online Now May 22, 2005 at 1:57 PM

Will be visiting the Isle of Man for the first time in August. My ancestors lived on Bark Lane in Ramsey. Can anyone tell me how to get to Bark Lane?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Feefox's Profile Photo

RE: Exploring Ramsey

by Feefox Online Now Jun 2, 2005 at 11:46 AM

Hi,

there is no Bark Lane in Ramsey. There is a Barrack Lane is this where you mean?

Ramsey is ok, can be a bit wild on a night out and the people can be a little strange (please don't tell anyone I said that, although I'm sure they say the same about us in Onchan/Douglas).

I went on a coach trip to Ramsey the other week, was a good laugh.

Let me know where you are staying in the Island and I'll give you any directions/best ways to get there etc.

Feel free to e-mail or post a further reply here.

Fi

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Exploring Ramsey

by cazinnaz Online Now Jun 5, 2005 at 2:12 AM

The best place to ask for directions/general info about Ramsey is the Library in the Town Hall (top of Parliament street). The staff are very knowledgeable, and will probably know the decendants of your ancestors - Ramsey is a small town after all!!

• RunnerDave's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Exploring Ramsey

by RunnerDave Online Now Jul 13, 2005 at 1:14 PM

Fi,

Thanks for getting back so quick. I seem to have lost the month of June somehow and am just now catching up. Your comments on Ramsey sound appropriate - that side of my family would fit right in!!

It appears there might have been a Bark Lane at some time. It might be built over or ploughed under by now. There are two businesses in Ramsey in the 1894 Brown's Directory with Bark Lane addresses (it's spelled Bark-lane in the Directory): Lloyd John, Leather Dealer and Miller J., painter.

Anyway, we - seven of us - are staying at Mount Murray in Santon. I think we will be scattering in all different directions. The interests range from pubs, darts, birding and biking to castles and genealogy. I will want to visit Ramsey, of course, Kirk Maughold Church, Bride and the Manx Museum. Any help with directions would be truly appreciated.

In Bride, I have to find Billy and Ballacundre for a friend. Don't have any idea what a Billy or a Ballacundre are - street, church, cemetery?? Would you happen to know?

Thanks again!

Dave

• RunnerDave's Profile Photo

by RunnerDave Online Now Jul 13, 2005 at 1:17 PM

The Library will be my first stop in Ramsey. Would be great if I could find some real live decendants! Thanks.

Dave

• Feefox's Profile Photo

by Feefox Online Now Jul 14, 2005 at 9:18 AM

Hi,

If you want to send me your address by mail rather than post it on the forum. I can send you over some info uptodate stuff.

The Mount Murray is nice, has its own golf course, driving range, gym and swimming pool. I have been to a few wedding receptions there and its been pretty nice.

They do have their own mini bus at the Mount Murray, if you are planning on going on a night out in Douglas or anywhere else then ask is there a pick up service, there might not be its always worth asking, if not, i have to warn you Taxis are expensive on the Isle of Man and it can cost £15.00 (or more!) to get back there, even though it only takes about 5/10 mins. If there are a lot of you though and shared costs it won't be so bad.

• Feefox's Profile Photo

by Feefox Online Now Jul 14, 2005 at 9:21 AM

Maughold Church is lovely and has some great carved Celtic stones in the Graveyard, the Manx are really into the Celtic Stuff.

If you get chance walk round the headland from Maughold, its on the cliff edge. At the top of Maughold Head the views are amazing over the sea on a clear day. Plus you may encounter seals along the way. The walk from Maughold is one of my favourite on the whole Island.

• Feefox's Profile Photo

by Feefox Online Now Jul 14, 2005 at 9:24 AM

Sorry, another message I know! but I keep remembering things I've forgotten to tell you. the Manx Mueseum has extensive records from all over the Island, lots on microfilm including tons of old papers and stuff - might help in locating relatives - birth announcements in papers and stuff.

Make sure you catch the film there about the history of the Island it is really good.

Let me know what dates you are coming and I'll look into whats on if you want?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines