Isle of Man Travel Answers

change location
Drugness's Profile Photo

A few mixed questions on the Isle and travel options etc...

by Drugness Online Now Apr 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Hello all
Planning a weekend in the Isle of Man sometime in the next couple of months. We will be visiting from Dublin, so naturally the ferry from Dublin sounds like a good idea.
Can anyone tell me if there is a Sunday boat back to Ireland as it doesn't appear so! I'm found a Monday one alright but i don't have the days to spare unfortunately. I'm kind of hoping i won't have to fly back on the Sunday but it may come to that. I kinda felt the whole boat thing was part of the Isle of Man experience :)
Also, hotels and B&B's on the island. Can anyone recommend the best based on their experience? It's definitely budget accomodation for us anyway, so hotels etc are out of the question!
What's the social life like on the Isle? Is Douglas where all the action is at night?
Also, cultural and tourist attractions. Can you recommend the top 5 for me please? I've seen some cool pics of an old coastal castle and some country lanes with nice views... but no doubt the people of this forum are much better informed than i am :)
Can't wait to hear all the input! :)
Thanks!
DG

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

Re: A few mixed questions on the Isle and travel options etc...

by Britannia2 Online Now Apr 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I cannot comment on nightlife and as for hotels we always used to stay at the Cherry Orchard in Port Erin which is a bit remote if you want nightlife.
    My top 5 are 1) a ride on the electric railway from Douglas to Ramsey. It dips through glens and beautiful country - the coastal section north of Laxey is stunning. 2)Port Erin - the most beautiful town on the island - travel there on the steam railway 3)Castletown - beautiful harbour with old castle overlooking the town 4)Snaefell mountain - great tram ride up the mountain from Laxey 5)Douglas Head - great views over the town and bay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: A few mixed questions on the Isle and travel options etc...

by christine.j Online Now Apr 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I took the ferry to get to the Isle of Man and the plane for going back, this way I could see the island rising out of the mist - and yes, this was as romantic as it sounds - and I had the convenience of getting home faster.

For a hotel I can recommend the Silvercraigs in Douglas, right on the waterfront in a super location. My favourite things were taking the steam railway down south, Port Erin and Castletown and watching the birds at Scarlett Point.

Since I had come for the half marathon, I cannot tell you anything about nightlife, sorry.
    The Isle of Man is a very special place, if you have the chance to go there, do go and enjoy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Isle of Man Travel Answer Locations