Isle of Man Travel Answers

change location
hmb10's Profile Photo

explore using feet,public transport

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Have arrived on the Heysham Ferry and have 3 full days to explore....would love some ideas as what to see. We are more outdoor exploring types...and would appreciate some must see, must do ideas...not big coffee,shopping,long lunch people.Am arriving mid July. Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: explore using feet,public transport

by davidjo Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM

If you go to isle of man destination and click off the beaten track there is a list of 9 unique places that may interest you

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:46 AM

The bus system is very good and there is the steam railway which is fun to ride. The bus driver will let you off even outside of official stops.
    I liked to see the fairy bridge as an off-the -beaten-path place. Generally said I found the north of the island much quieter than the south. I have more information on my page about the Isle of Man here on VT.

2 members found this helpful

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM

The Isle of Man is one of the most beautiful places I have been to and if you love the outdoors you will spoilt by the beauty of most of the island. In all honesty in order to get the most out of your trip I would think about hiring a car as it gives you so much more flexibility. Having said that the bus service is good and the electric railway between Douglas and Ramsey is very scenic.

With 3 days and a car you could pretty much see all of the Isle of Man. The Calf of Man on the south west tip is worth making the eoffrt to get to, as are the Laxey Wheel, the coast around Niarbyl and a trip across the summit of Mt Snaefell. With so much natural beauty its not really a coffee, shopping, long lunch type of place.

2 members found this helpful

• jonsintown's Profile Photo

by jonsintown Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Hi
    There are no large type shopping centres there, anyway, to distract.
    Get off on the main road (part of the TT Course) and climb to the summit of Snaefell mountain. On a nice clear day the views to other part of the British Isles are amazing.
    And, or, explore the cobbled back alley ways of Peel City, the home of Manx kippers and its famous haunted Castle.
    And, or, for a wonderful walk visit Silverdale Glen and Russian Abbey in the South of the island.
    Regards

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Isle of Man Travel Answer Locations