change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Suggestions on itineary in the Western province/Gros Morne national park

Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Apr 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Hi there,

I will be spending 6 days in the western province, mainly to visit Gros Morne National Park. I believe 6 days will be more than enough and was wondering if there are sites worthwhile driving to or visiting outside of the park (i.e. driving north)? Any input would much be appreciated!

more
    • Car rental in newfoundland for 10 days

Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Apr 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Hi there,

I am travelling with my boyfriend to Newfoundland in mid June for for 10 days. We will be spending 4 days in St Johns and then flying to Deer Lake to hit the western side of the provide for the last 6 days. I've called a few car rental dealers for quotes and it seems that it can get quite pricey especially if requesting for unlimited milege. They quoted me $550 for 10 days, not yet including insurance. I was wondering if any one out there knows of a budget car rental dealer and whether unlimited milege is even required given that I will be flying from the eastern side of the province into the western side. Any advice/feedback would much be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

more
    • Jefie's Profile Photo

Newfoundland in late September

by Jefie Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM

We have some time off at the end of September and are considering renting an RV and driving around Newfoundland. I did a quick check and many sites seem to close around mid-September. Is the end of September a good time to visit or should we wait until next year? We've never been to Newfoundland so we want to make the most of this first visit!

2 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    • WhiteMughal's Profile Photo

Weather Question

by WhiteMughal Online Now Jun 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM

What are the season like in Newfoundland? I've been to BC, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, am going to visit Quebec. And am pondering a visit to Newfoundland.

3 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    • 9tigers's Profile Photo

I need some opinion on if I need to visit these places while in NFL or it is just ok

by 9tigers Online Now Jan 21, 2011 at 8:19 AM

and I can just not go bc it is not awesome just ok.

1) Conception Bay
      • Brigus
      • Harbour Grace
      • Bay De Verde and Grates Cove
      • Baccalieu Island Ecological Reserve
      • Cape St Mary Ecological Reserve
      • Trinity:
      • Bonavista
      • Burin (and hiking trail
      Gros Morne
      doing western Brook Bond boat tour

and back to st john area
      Downtown area
      • Signal Hill National Historic Site FREE
      www.pc.gc.ca/signalhill
      The city’s most famous landmark
      1. Cabot Tower 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m Daily is also free, provide a great view of the city.
      2. You can see Cannons and remains of the late 18-centruary British battery at Queen’s battery &
      Barracks further up the hills
      3. Visitor center 10 a.m. to 6 p.m M- F
      4. North head Trail connect Cabot Tower with battery neighborhood

• Quidi Vidi
      Over signal Hill, away from town is this tiny village, here you will find the oldest cottage in North America, Mallard Cottage (2 barrows rd FREE 9:30 – 4:30PM May – Sep)

• Basillica of St. John the Baptist
      http://www.thebasilica.ca/
      200 military Rd
      FREE 8 – 3PM M – F to 6PM sat and 12:30PM Sunday

• Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
      www.sji.ca/cathedral FREE
      22 churchhill, one of the finest Gothic architecture in North America
      10-Noon 2-4:30 M – Friday

• Fort Amherst
      Just across from signal Hill FREE open 24 hrs

• Government House
      www.mun.ca/govhouse
      on military Rd, it was built at the same time as the White House but 4 times the cost
      Built at the same time as white house but cost 4 times more

• Colonial building
      was the seat of government from 1850 – 1960, the limestone for the building was coming from cork, Ireland
      Military Rd and bannerman Rd
      Latterly next to the government house

North of St John
      • Ocean Science Center
      www.osc.mun.ca FREE 10 – 5PM
      It is about 8km north of St john just before Logy bay, from the city take Rt 30 (logy bay Rd) , then follow marine Dr to Marine Lab rd and take it to the end

• Secluded and Rocky, Middle Cove and outer cove are just a bit further north of Rt 30
      North at the head of Torbay Bight is the enjoyable short Father Troy path, which hug the shorelines. The view from the cap St Francis is worth the bumpy gravel Road from Porch cove

West Of St John
      • On Topsail rd (Rte 60), just pass paradise is topsail, and its panoramic view of conception bay and its islands

South of St John
      • Cape Spear national historic site
      • Witless Bay Ecological Reserve

8 Answers Jan 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    • 9tigers's Profile Photo

I would like to see seabird and iceberg while in NFL, is early june better or later june?

by 9tigers Online Now Jan 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

how is weather like then like in the mid 50th?

• Cape St Mary Ecological Reserve
      • Baccalieu Island Ecological Reserve
      • Witless Bay Ecological Reserve

which one should I go if I want to see iceberg and seabirds , it would be great if I can see closely of them and not have to get on a boat

5 Answers Jan 21, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    • Motorcycle trip to NF

by johnnieg2756 Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 8:19 AM

My wife/myself and dog are also hoping to get to NS and NL in July of 2010. I've read that NL has the worst roads of the provinces and also you should carry extra fuel with you. Is this something that should concern us or is this just rumers? We have ridden to NS before with no problems and also to Alaska. Really looking forward to coming back again. Would July be a good month to come to NS and NL? Thanks for any info you can provide.
      Johnnie

2 Answers Feb 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    • Costs and operating dates of ferries to Newfoundland and camping sites

by dunlapsville Online Now Jan 4, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Hi All,

What would it cost to transport myself and my motorcycle from the mainland and back for all of the ferries? What dates do they run? Where is a good place to camp on the island? What is the the one thing that you have to see there in May?

2 Answers Jan 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    • St John's/nearby info

by TominNH Online Now Jul 25, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Hi:

We're arriving in St John's 26 July & have hotel reservations. However, the car rental reservation got 'lost'(will handle that on arrival, hopefully). But need suggestions as to 'what to do' for 3 days if we should be limited to St John's/nearby area with transportation via taxi/public transportation/tour bus, etc. Many thanks.

2 Answers Jul 30, 2007 at 9:59 AM
    • hotel/b&b reservations in newfoundland in July

by dino783 Online Now Jul 13, 2003 at 8:05 AM

Hi I am flying in to St. John's on July 19th and renting a car for a week. We plan on seeing St. John's area, then travelling possibly to Trepassey, Harbour Grace, Bonavista, Twillingate. We do not yet have reservations for places to stay aside from our first night -- do you think that is ok? That is, do you think we will have trouble getting rooms for the nights? Its just that we don't really want to reserve ahead of time as we are not sure how far we will travel each day.

1 Answer Dec 12, 2003 at 7:38 PM