Isla de Roatán Travel Answers

change location
habitual_wanderer's Profile Photo

Avoiding cruise ship crowds and traveler's e-coli?

by habitual_wanderer Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Hi there,
I tend to be more of a backpacker traveler and like to stay away from resorts, cruise docks, etc. I know I'm a tourist just the same but I like to get the most unique perspective out of my travels rather than being surrounded by what I am trying to get away from... if that makes any sense. A friend and I will be meeting up on Roatan Island at the end of February - beginning of March. Are there any areas we should avoid? Also, how easy is it to hire a boat to travel to the other islands? I've read that they can be more remote.
Lastly, what is the deal with the water, I haven't found any big warnings about staying away from the drinking water. Mostly just warnings about sand flies. I've had traveler's e-coli before so just trying to find out if there are any drinks/foods I should avoid.

Thanks for any help!

Andrea

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Texasdiverlove's Profile Photo

Re: Avoiding cruise ship crowds and traveler's e-coli?

by Texasdiverlove Online Now Oct 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM

For traveling or hiring a boat you can get in touch with Westbaytours. They organize boat charters to the island of Cayos Cachinos. Cayos Cochinos is an hour boat ride from Roatan and you can go in a 38 ft Luxury Yacht or a 600 HP speedboat.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines