Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Answers

change location

Which islands would fit my school project the best?

by MagnusDK Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I'm writing this big school project this year (from 1 of marts 2010 to 1 of marts 2011), it's like my final school thing, and it's what really matters in my grades!

I'm writing about "traveling", with a special look at tourism and globalizing all over the world, and i'll have to write about a special place, like i have to make a "case", where tourism have had a big impact on the place, and i then i'll look into, how the local residents feels about the growing tourism and all that kind of things.

So i sat down yesterday and thought, "do i know a place that would be perfect as a "case" in my project", and i thought of the canary islands! ;)

I'm planning on maybe going there in january or february to write and look into the tourism on one of the canary islands and i hoped, that maybe you guys could help me :)

If i had to choose a islands, where the tourism plays a big factor (guess it's big in all of them?) and where i could stay and have a nice week in february, what should i be looking at?

Gran Canaria? Tenerife? Lanzarote? or somewhere else?

Can you maybe tell a bit about what i should aim for? What is the difference between the islands? Is it a good case to look at as far as the impact the tourism have had in the local residents?

I would really appreciate some good advises! :)

Whats your thoughts on all of it?

Best regards

Magnus

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Which islands would fit my school project the best?

by ranger49 Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Most of the Information you are seeking is already here - just type the name of each island in which you are interested in the Destination Search Box - top right of page and go to the Travel Guide - all written by VT members with their impressions,tips and preferences.
    Hope that helps with your research!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which islands would fit my school project the best?

by MagnusDK Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for both answers! I will look at each island :)

For the other question, do you guys think, that is a good idea to use the canary islands as a case.
    Can you get a good project out of looking in to the impact of tourism on the local people in the canary islands? :) I know its a wierd question, but i just wanted to know if its the right case to use :)

Best regards

Magnus

by ranger49 Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Tourism has been an established tourist destination for many years.You could consider islands that have only become accessible by directly by air in more recent times like some of the smaller Greek islands, or places that have opened up to tourism in the last 20 years because of political changes - eg parts of eastern Europe and mother examples too many to quote individually.
    A good starting point for your research perhaps? Remember good researchdepends on accurate information backed up by figures, statistics, economics etc for validation rather than purely anecdotal evidence.

by ranger49 Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Ooops! "Tourism has been an established tourist destination..."
    should of course start
    "The Canary Islands have been ...."

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Judging by the year-round popularity of the Canary Islands with UK package-holidaymakers (there are many, many 'budget' packages in the Canaries offered by UK companies), and with holidaymakers from elsewhere in Europe, I should think they will make an excellent focus.

But I have not yet visited any of the islands (largely because of that very popularity for package holidays).

Alternatives (best to have several options, in case your budget restricts where you can go) might be the Turkish coastal towns which are also very popular with package holidaymakers....I am thinking of Alanya, Side, Kusadasi, Icmeler etc. Or Tunisian coastal resorts such as the purpose-built Port El Kantaoui, or Sousse or Monastir (again, year-round popularity with UK & other package holidaymakers). I'm pretty sure mass package holidays are a more recent development here than in the Canaries so you might find interesting responses to how that development has affected residents etc.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I think it´s a good idea as tourism has been there long enough to experience the effects of tourism long term and you still have an old generation that remembers what it was like without mass tourism and a young generation who has grown up with it and probaply sees it as normal.

I think Gran Canaria would be a slightly better study as the contrasts between touristy and non touristy places are bigger there (some places are suprisingly non touristy and some really tacky).

by MagnusDK Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Wow you're quick at answering! Thanks for all the responses, sounds like i could find a lot of places that would be ideal for my project!
    It was interesting for me to read, that Gran canaria has big differences in tourism between places on the island, especially considering of the size it has!
    If i wanted to get some interviews from some locals or just someone who have lived there or live there now, what would you guys think would be the best way to approach it on? How do i get in contact with some residents of for example gran canari?

Hope i'm not leaving the hole "travel-forum" subjects too much :)

Regard Magnus

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Gran Canaria has a person who is rsponsible for tourism promotion in Scandinavia.
    He is a native from Gran Canaria and very helpful.
    He lives in Stockholm, but i will send you his personal mail to you.
    I think he could put you in touch with some interesting people.

by MagnusDK Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM

That would be great! Thank you so much!

by MagnusDK Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for your answer, yes every answer is still more than welcome!

Sounds perfect with the galapagos islands, but i don't have the biggest budget unfortunately, so a trip to there, would be impossible :/
    But i will definitely look at it, as a chapter in my project! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines