Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• storyin's Profile Photo

local jewellery shop, artist?

Punta Arenas Apr 3, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Hola,
      Is there any special, nice local jeweller, jewelry shop in Punta arenas?

Please recommend me, I would like to visit and buy something.

Gracias.

more
    • Trekking the W route in late April

Torres del Paine Apr 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Hi,
      I am a solo traveller looking to trek the W route from 24-28th April and wanted to ask if it is best to book refugios in advance? Many of them seem to have finished for the season (or floes on the 30April) and it's hard to see what I will need to book. Do you think it is possible to book everything in Puerto Natales? Or is it better to book some in advance and risk only a few? I am happy to camp if that is the only option but would prefer a basic bed if possible.

Also this is at the beginning of a three moth trip and I will have a very large travel ruck sack. Is there somewhere where you can store bags before entering the park?

Help and tips much appreciated especially from anyone who has done this trip solo.
      Thanks! Vicky

more
    • Is isla herschel sefty !?

Isla Herschel Apr 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Hello everyone :)
      Just I want to ask if its sefty ?
      And is there good places to visit?

Thank you ..

more
    • Zbig58's Profile Photo

Accesibility

Torres del Paine Mar 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Hi
      We are going to spend 3-4 Easter days in TDP (18 - 20/21 April). Is it possible to see best places (glacier, Torres etc. ) without long hiking (driving a car), in such short time. We would like to stay in the Puerto Natales, rent a car and jump to the Park every day. Does it make sense?

more
    • Torres del Paine itinerary help!

by Engreeks1 Online Now May 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Hi there!

I'm planning a trip to Salar de Uyuni and Torres Del Paine with a group of 6 young, fit friends. I'm working on our itinerary (included below) and am soooo excited, but had a couple of specific quick questions:

1) Does sky airlines fly from Calama to Puerto Natales in high season? We exit Salar de Uyuni in Calama and the current Sky airline website doesn't allow me to reserve past mid November. In November there are no flights from Calama to Puerto Natales (or Punta Arenas as a second-choice). So I'm currently having us fly from Calama to Santiago then from there to Puerto Natales.

2) Is it cheaper to buy SKY airlines flights from Chile or South america (or any non-US location)? I can find a way to get a friend to book for me if so.

3) We will be beginning the hike Dec 30th and ending it on Jan 5th. Will the holidays interfere with being able to have lodging in Refugios or getting buses?

4) We only have 7 days in Patagonia - would you rather (1) spend the whole time doing the circuit or (2) do the shorter W and spend some time in the other attractions in Patagonia? I've heard isla del magdalena is great, as well as the Fitzroy region in Argentina?

5) What are the best legs in the TdP circuit to dwell in? Is the itinerary below realistic for a group of 6 young, fit, outdoorsy travelers? Our current itinerary assumes we dwell one extra day in Valle del Silencio, but we could just as easily switch this "dwell day" to any other leg:

Dec 30 - Sun (day 1)
      Take first bus to Torres Del Paine NP
      Arrive at Laguna Amarga
      Hike 4.5 hrs to Seron
      Hike 6 hrs to Dickson refugio

Dec 31 - Mon (day 2)
      Hike past los perros camp site
      Hike over Paso John Gardner
      Attempt to hike to Grey refugio

Jan 1 - Tues (day 3)
      Spend the day around Grey refugio, doing a glacier hike in grey glacier
      Finish off at Paine Grande refugio

Jan 2 - Wed (day 4)
      Hike into frances valley
      Camp at Refugio de los cuernos

Jan 3 - Thurs (day 5)
      Hike to Silence valley
      Rent tents in Chileno refugio
      Camp in Silence valley

Jan 4 - Fri (day 6) - return to Chileno Refugio and sleep there

Jan 5 - Sat (day 7)
      Early morning hike out to bus departing a 7am, bus to Punta Arenas airport
      3:40PM depart punta arenas

Hope that's not too many questions - thanks in advance!

2 Answers May 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    • Sights and Beauty in OCT - DEC

by slothasaurus Online Now May 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

HI all,

Patagonia has long been a dream of mine and I have an opportunnity to visit this beautiful part of the world between Mid october and Mid december. It seems to be the norm that all photos you see of patagonia are beautiful blue skyes and groud coverded in snow. I am hoping my experience to be the same but am unsure if this time oy year will still be covered in Snow. I understand the Andes section will have snow capped peaks but can any body give me ideas or mabye even some photos from the region from this time of year.

Cheers

1 Answer Mar 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    • walking in Glacier National Park & Torres del Paine NP

by holiday24 Online Now Sep 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM

i am considering joining a 'Gap' tour which has day walks in these 2 areas but wondering how tough they will be & how young & energetic the other members are likely to be!. I am a 63yr old female reasonably fit & do some walking in the French Alps, but am not a fast walker & have not done a hard full day uphill slog. i will be in the alps again in a few weeks time & hope to push myself further, but need to confirm the hoilday before then.

can anyone give me an idea of the gradients expected & if the walking times quoted are actual walk times or include breaks for lunch,snacks/photos etc? or any other guidlines?

1 Answer Sep 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    • Weather in late April

by janetlee Online Now May 2, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I plan to go to El Calfacate in Argentina and Torres de Paine in late April. How is the weather during this time of the year? Is there cruise/boat service?

3 Answers May 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    • Finding a local guide in Patagonia - Torres del Paine

by almet_nyc Online Now Oct 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Does anyone know how to hook up with a local guide for Torres del Paine before the trip (mid-November) or once in Puerto Natales?

If I don't find a local guide, I will trek it alone. Any advise is appreciated for a single traveler.

Thanks

4 Answers Nov 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    • puppis's Profile Photo

This island is part of Fantasy Island

by puppis Online Now Nov 28, 2007 at 3:54 PM

This island does not exist in any map. Maybe is part of the Atlantida.
      I suppose it is the Isla de Tierra del Fuego.

4 Answers Dec 1, 2007 at 4:23 AM
    • Hot Air Ballooning.....Patagonia

by sastley Online Now Nov 28, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Hi

Does anyone know of any hot air ballooning opportunities around Punta Arenas or Ushuaia?

I will be there in Feb/March

Thanks
      Stacey

3 Answers Nov 30, 2007 at 9:08 AM
    • Birthday Ideas....Patagonia

by sastley Online Now Nov 19, 2007 at 4:04 AM

I'm seeking inspiration for my boyfriend's birthday in Patagonia...

We fly into Ushuia on 26th Feb and plan to be in Cape Horn for his birthday on 29th. Then we have a week to get to Punta Arenas for our flight home. By this time we will have been backpacking for 3 months so I'd like to do something really special.

Does anyone know of any special restuarants or hotels in this region? Anything alternative, romantic or breathtaking would be welcomed!

1 Answer Nov 19, 2007 at 8:52 AM
    • Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Trekking Companies for Patagonia

by Geisha_Girl Online Now Oct 10, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Hello,

We're trying to gather information to plan out a trek through Patagonia and would love any recommendations on trekking guides or companies in that area. I found a few interesting ones just searching the internet but would love any personal recommendations from folks who had good experiences with one. Also would love to chat about your first-hand experience on this trek.

What's the best time of year to be there? Is Oct/Nov a good time or would it be better in Jan/Feb?

Any insight, advice, pics or stories to share would be great!

Thanks for your help,

G_G

7 Answers Nov 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    • IraLawrence's Profile Photo

4-night cruise M/V Via Australis Ushuaia-Punta Arenas

by IraLawrence Online Now Oct 16, 2006 at 2:24 PM

I am planning a 4-night cruise December 23rd from Ushuaia-Punta Arenas on the cruiseline Cruceros Australis (M/V Via Australis). I am traveling with 2 children 10 & 13 yr boys. Has anyone traveled on this vessel? Looking for feedback regarding quality of accommodations, food, staff, etc. What is the attire required and can you rent outdoor clothing/boots?
      Thank you.

1 Answer Oct 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM
    • aloha088's Profile Photo

travel to Patagonia in June/July

by aloha088 Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 4:01 PM

hello everyone... one last question...

is it possible to travel in winter (June/July) to travel to Patagonia?
      Are there any ferries or busses operating?

again your help is appreciated.
      Jacqueline

6 Answers Apr 19, 2006 at 10:08 AM